Trying to run a 5k

Options
I will be running a 5k in about 2&1/2 months! I'm using c25k for the first time has anyone had any luck with it? Feel free to add me if you would like! Looking forward to everyone's response ;)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took an eight week "learn to run" class from the Running Room, which is sort of a baby version of C25K. Yup, in eight weeks they got me from running for a minute to running 2.5 K in thirty. Watch your pacing and take all your rest days and rests between runs. If you are struggling, go slower. Go farther. Your body will respond to the new demands faster than you think.

If you get any tendon/joint pain, dial it back right away and get it checked. My physiotherapist says attention to injuries can mean the difference between a 2 week recovery and a three month recovery. Don't push through an injury.

Stretches. Don't forget your stretches.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are forum groups here specifically to discuss C25K. It's a great program, there are many here who have had success with it and gone on to run 10Ks, half marathons and even full marathons and beyond.

Follow the program exactly. Don't run more than directed or you could end up injuring yourself. Run slowly, much more slowly than you think you should be running. You'll be focusing on just being able to run for now, speed will come later.

Good luck and have fun!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am working on couch to 5k too and to keep motivated, I enter virtual 5k runs that I get a medal for completing. I can easily walk a 5k, but really want to run one without walking and work to improve my time each race.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I will be running a 5k in about 2&1/2 months! I'm using c25k for the first time has anyone had any luck with it? Feel free to add me if you would like! Looking forward to everyone's response ;)

I would recommend that when you start off go at a pace your comfortable at but I would say try logging on to a site called parkrun they do 5k runs all over the country and you download your free barcode and run on a Saturday at 9am its a free event and there you can pick up tips ect from other runners give it a go you might even like it
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started doing 5Ks last year. First one (in April) I finished in 55:00. But...I finished. Last Saturday, my time was 48:33. My goal for 2015 is to hit around 40:00.

I haven't tried C25K yet. I downloaded Zombies, Run the other day. Now I'm waiting for the rain to quit so I can get started.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I like C25K but didn't really get into running until a personal trainer made me run without walking breaks. She said take tiny steps (almost running on the spot) and run slower but never stop for a walk. It was a massive breakthrough because after only two sessions I learned how to breathe properly. C25K didn't teach me to breathe as there was too much recovery time built in. I'm really unfit now but can still run 5k without thinking about it (very slowly) because of learning to breathe right without slowing to a walking pace.