steel cut oats in crockpot

Options
kittyloo123
kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
any one do this? 4 cups water, 1 c steel oats. I like to add cinnamon, pinch of clove and some nutmeg here, but you can do whatever you like. Cook on low for about 6 hours. You could also add rasins, chopped apple or crasins.
Makes 4 cups cooked. I portion them into individual servings and refrigerate. 150 calories, and no measuring or anything in the morning. Grab and go.
I use the unsweetened coconut milk from the health food store. (not the canned stuff, by the thai food) 1/2 cup is only 30 calories i think.

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    That sounds great!
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    Going to throw this in my crock pot right now. Thanks for sharing!!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    They don't get all mushy?.....that's my problem sometimes.....the consistency of oatmeal......it's great at first but the longer it's in the liquid(milk/water) the harder it is to eat b/c it get so mushy gushy...
  • slimyfishy
    slimyfishy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do this as well. It is a great way to get a healthy, complex carbohydrate breakfast without the fuss. :happy:
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I make this recipe all the time (it's called Apple Pie Breakfast). It's AWESOME:

http://jdelisle42.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-pie-breakfast.html
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    just wanted to add, that i make this in a little mini crockpot i got at WM. Only $10. It's the perfect size for 1. The bigger ones maybe you could double the recipe to put more volume in the crock?
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    any one do this? 4 cups water, 1 c steel oats. I like to add cinnamon, pinch of clove and some nutmeg here, but you can do whatever you like. Cook on low for about 6 hours. You could also add rasins, chopped apple or crasins.
    Makes 4 cups cooked. I portion them into individual servings and refrigerate. 150 calories, and no measuring or anything in the morning. Grab and go.
    I use the unsweetened coconut milk from the health food store. (not the canned stuff, by the thai food) 1/2 cup is only 30 calories i think.

i love steel cut oats...also, your profile picture is hilarious!!
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats. I love the nutty texture. It never occurred to me to use a crockpot! Note to the person who asked, steel cut oats don't get mushy like rolled oats. They are like a dfferent food. Yummy, interesting cruchy/chewy texture.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    We make steel cut oats in the crockpot at least once a week.... I usually set it on a light timer to turn on in the middle of the night. It did take me a few times to get the time right, I like it cooked on the shorter end of the cooking times not the longer time of the ranges offered.
    It's easy, healthy, and cheap if you get the bulk oats.
  • lormsbee
    lormsbee Posts: 6
    Options
    I just bought some steel cut oats and have not made them yet. This sounds perfect!! Thank you!!!
    :happy:
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I haven't made this in a long time, thanx for the reminder!

I "fell off the wagon" a bit back, and now I'm back in action, so I'm glad to see this post - will get some made this week for sure!

:drinker:

Ice
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Are steel cut oats by the rolled oats in the grocery store? I want to try them, but haven't even noticed them before.
  • hollykmckinney
    Options
    Are steel cut oats by the rolled oats in the grocery store? I want to try them, but haven't even noticed them before.

I find them in the organic/health food section of my grocery store. I have never seen them in the regular aisles.
  • solhai
    solhai Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Where I live I found the steel cut with the organic/natural section. They are quite a bit more.

We bought a can of them and they taste good, the texture is slightly different than the rolled.

Comparing the price to rolled oats to eat on a daily basis with not much higher value, considering it's still a cut/crushed grain but generally intact, I'm sticking to the rolled oats since I eat them a lot. I can put that money I've pinched from steel cut into things like good meat, good milk, and other organic items.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I have always been put off by the price....why do steel cut oats cost more than rolled? Are they worth the extra money? I always buy the Old Fashioned rolled oats. What is different abou the steel cut oats aside from the price? Thanks to anyone who is willing to take the time to answer. :flowerforyou:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think steel cut oats have more fiber in them. If you are low on your fiber intake, it might be worth getting them.

Our steel cut oats are more expensive in the tins than rolled oats, but are cheaper when buying in the bulk section.
  • heathercj40
    Options
    A rice cooker works great also, if you don't have 6 hours and don't want to watch them in a pan.

I'll have to try the "Apple Pie" recipe. Sounds good.
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump