Meals under 600 kcal

Options
Need some meal ideas that are under 600kcal, always struggle to stay in the range with an evening meal that the whole family can eat aswell as me! Don't fancy cooking separate meals. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All my meals are under 600 cal. If you use a dinner roll plate and portion out differently, you can too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the cooking? Focus on baking or broiling meat/fish and cooking two large veggie dishes. Pinterest has some great ideas. Create an account and try different search terms.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I've been eating like a nomad lately so I had to go back a few days. Here's one menu.

One breaded pork schnizel (1 cutlet, 100gr)
    Fennel and mushroom salad, 1/2 order
    2 slices rye bread, 2 teaspoons margarine

Hubby didn't like my salad so he had a different side. And he had three schnizels.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can just adjust portion sizes. For example, say you start with pork chop, apples, zucchini, and sweet potatoes. That can be a really low cal meal or not very low cal, depending on how much of each thing you eat. When eating with someone not watching calories I just increase my veggie portion (or meat if I need more protein and it's on the lean side) and reduce my starch some.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Pinterest has some great ideas.

A lot of the healthy meals I cook I found on Pinterest first.
  • beckiirs92
    beckiirs92 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    OKay! thanks for the good ideas! Yeah I do all the cooking, and have 2 fussy kids and a fussy fiancé! I will look on pinterest now.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    4oz pan-seared salmon with a 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of minced garlic, with steamed asparagus on the side.
  • beckiirs92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think my problem is carbs! looking on pinterest and other places online.. I have bread/pasta/potatoes with every meal.. I feel like its not a 'meal' without them.. must be bumping up my calories right? lol
  • caron6055
    caron6055 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would definitely cut down on the carbs, I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or potatoes during the week, but will allow limited amounts Saturday and Sunday. Try substituting mashed swede for potato or cauliflour rice (raw cauliflour blitzed in the food processor then flash fried with a squirt of low cal oil - surprisingly good) for rice. If you have a good portion of veg (but do weigh and count it) it feels like a proper meal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    beckiirs92 wrote: »
    I think my problem is carbs! looking on pinterest and other places online.. I have bread/pasta/potatoes with every meal.. I feel like its not a 'meal' without them.. must be bumping up my calories right? lol

You can still have them, just have a smaller portion. More lower calorie vegetables, and less potatoes/bread/pasta. Half a roll, instead of whole; Less pasta and more sauce; Fewer potatoes, or half a baked instead of whole.

For mashed potatoes, try subbing half of the potatoes with cauliflower or turnips. Both are lower carbs and calories but are so mildly flavored you won't even notice them.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    beckiirs92 wrote: »
    OKay! thanks for the good ideas! Yeah I do all the cooking, and have 2 fussy kids and a fussy fiancé! I will look on pinterest now.
    Break the fussy in the kids now.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I make a sandwich.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like buying bags of salad mixes that have everything in it. Just add protein such as tun, fish, turkey breat, chicken breast, etc. I also use salsa as dressing as its almost no calories or a calorie free dressing that i find at sprouts. The entire meal comes out to about 250 calories. Very low cal and not much prep needed
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast with a side of roasted vegetables. Easy.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    One change I made was picking ONE carb not two. For instance, it's mashed potatoes OR bread on the side. I still fill half my plate with veggies even if it is hearty green beans. They're counted as carbs too but oh, so filling and lovely.
  • beckiirs92
    Options
    So confusing! Knowing what I'm supposed to eat.. Gunna try and cut out the carbs. I'm a bridesmaid to my best friend in July and getting married myself in September. Salad for lunch instead on and salad sandwhich and just miss the potatoes off my dinner plate fingers crossed that helps! Thanks for all the suggestions they are great love suede and nd carrot mash so will try swap that for potatoes !
  • KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also if you like a bigger dinner then maybe try eating really light for breakfast and lunch, or try intermittent fasting, so you have more calories left over for dinner. That's what works best for me, since I don't feel satisfied without a hearty dinner. I can skip breakfast and eat a light lunch and those don't bother me, but I love me some dinner. So I manage my calories to allow for that.
  • beckiirs92
    Options
    Also I know what you What you mean about fussy kids breaking the bad habits I've give them is hard! They love fruit and veg it's getting them to drink water instead of fruit juice!
  • beckiirs92
    Options

That's what I try to do! Skip breakfast and light lunch! It doesnt bother me until dinner time.. i just end up over eating at dinner. Im on 1200 a day. But i need to allow a few kcal for alcohol a few nights a week..
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Mexican! Fajita style onions & peppers (sub water for oil), slice & mix in any protein (I use black beans sometimes). Whole grain tortilla or rice. I add avacado & kids use sour cream & cheese. Tonight I added spinach to the veggies, sometimes corn...so many options & always makes me feel full.