Help!! Dairy Free & struggling to eat my calories

Options
Hi

I'm just looking for some advice (and please no negative criticism)

I am currently having to go Dairy Free as I'm breastfeeding my son and if I have dairy it causes him great discomfort.

I also can't eat a lot of carbs as it bunges me up (sorry tmi)

What I'm struggling with is eating all my calories on a daily. I know that I need to increase my calories but I'm finding it really hard with finding the time to eat with a 6 week baby, breastfeeding seems to be curbing my appetite, plus having to limit my carbs and not having anything that has dairy in it (which is surprising how much stuff has dairy in it)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

:)

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Focus on meats and veggies. Add nutrient dense foods like nut butters, avocado, hummus, beans, fruits. Check out some vegan blogs for healthy, dairy free recipes. (You can always add chicken to it, you don't have to keep it vegan)

Congrats on the baby!

And, yes, dairy is hidden in many packaged foods.
  • Ywilliams82
    Ywilliams82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Focus on meats and veggies. Add nutrient dense foods like nut butters, avocado, hummus, beans, fruits. Check out some vegan blogs for healthy, dairy free recipes. (You can always add chicken to it, you don't have to keep it vegan)

Congrats on the baby!

Thank you for the advice I will check that out
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi there I understand I had to be careful with my youngest & 2 grandsons are lactose intolerant. Hope there is something here that helps. Have you tried making oatmeal with almond milk? also eggs are good protein so like a spinach salad or bacon and eggs. I like beans: black beans, chickpeas, lentils - add to rice or greek type salad or bulgar or quinoa - having cut up veggies in the fridge with hummus or guacamole or cooked chicken.. Oh grandson's fav cut up apple with peanut or almond butter - smoothie with lactose free yogurt. Sorry personal choice no soy products or coconut yogurt. Just send a message if you have any questions about recipes.
    Congratulations !!! Such a wonderful time enjoy.
  • poarche
    poarche Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I second what Laurend224 stated. Also, take a look at paleo recipes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to get enough to eat. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (ignore those that don't agree with you or don't fit your medical needs, obviously):
    avocado
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    guacamole
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • Ywilliams82
    Options
    Hi there I understand I had to be careful with my youngest & 2 grandsons are lactose intolerant. Hope there is something here that helps. Have you tried making oatmeal with almond milk? also eggs are good protein so like a spinach salad or bacon and eggs. I like beans: black beans, chickpeas, lentils - add to rice or greek type salad or bulgar or quinoa - having cut up veggies in the fridge with hummus or guacamole or cooked chicken.. Oh grandson's fav cut up apple with peanut or almond butter - smoothie with lactose free yogurt. Sorry personal choice no soy products or coconut yogurt. Just send a message if you have any questions about recipes.
    Congratulations !!! Such a wonderful time enjoy.

Thank you for this it's really helpful :)
  • Ywilliams82
    Options
    poarche wrote: »
    I second what Laurend224 stated. Also, take a look at paleo recipes.

Thank you I will do :)

• Ywilliams82
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to get enough to eat. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (ignore those that don't agree with you or don't fit your medical needs, obviously):
    avocado
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    guacamole
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

Thank you so much this is fab :)