Vegetarian Protein Options

Options
I'm a vegetarian and try to eat a lot of proteins like beans, nuts, tofu, yogurt, broccoli, etc. Looking at my nutrition chart, my protein % is really low (12-16%) compared to carbs and fat. Any suggestions for good vegetarian protein sources I might be missing? How can I increase my protein % and reduce fat/carbs?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I can fit in beans and lentils and nuts on days when I cut out bread and rice. Beans have carbs .. . . .so vegetarians have more carbs than other groups do.
    Remember greens like spinach, brussels sprouts, collard greens. Also hemp seeds and chia seeds.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, low-fat cottage cheese, seitan (a meat substitute made from wheat gluten), nutritional yeast, whey and other protein powders, egg whites (if you eat eggs).

Also, decide how many grams of protein you need in a day rather than worrying about getting a certain percentage. (No, I'm not going to get in the middle of the argument over whether it's .8/1/1.2/1.5 grams per pound/kilogram of body mass/lean body mass.)
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, tempeh, hemp seeds, eggs (if you're an ovo-veg), pepitas (pumpkin seeds are high protein albeit incomplete ), nutritional yeast flakes. Also perhaps look into protein powders? I'm not vegetarian these days, but I can't do whey or soy, so I mix it up with protein powders made with a combination of plant based ingredients as well as stand alone powders such as hemp, brown rice and pea. These can be added to soups, yogurts, porridge, pancakes etc. I prefer unflavoured powders, but whatever works for you :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I count grams and get to 100 or there abouts a day, but usually do supplement with protein powder or bars (simply because I like them.) My favorite protein sources are cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. A meal of eggs and spinach packs a good dose of protein a well. Spinach also pairs really well with my other favorite protein source, lentils.

If you cook, there are some brilliant recipes online for things like lentil loaf and burgers with nuts in them that pack plenty of protein per serving into them.
  • gongol07
    gongol07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Quorn is really tasty, low fat and high protein. Quark is really good too, it is really low fat but stir into a risotto or soup or something is a nice hit of protein.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I like these lentil Dahl packets. Add 2 packets to a pot of water and cook for a few mins. Simple.

Cheap to from coles or Woolworths.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The only way i can hit my protein goal is by using Dairy.

Fage 0% Greek yogurt plain has 18g protein in a 100 calorie cup. top with honey or your choice.

Whey protein with almond milk (28g protein for around 200 cals)

Quest Bars (20g protein for around 170 cals)

Cottage cheese (22g protein for around 200 cals)

of course i also use some NON-SOY substitutes like Quorn "chicken" cutlets, and the faux "ground beef" in spaghetti, etc.

I also eat a lot of lentils, beans, etc. But without the above i wouldn't hit my goal.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Shamelessly bumping as the mum of a vegetarian teen. Her favorites are the Gardein Chick'n Tenders, and other mock-poultry items from Gardein. I often use the veggie crumbles by Morningstar or Boca in place of ground beef for recipes for the whole family. In pasta sauce and chili, nobody in my family blinks an eye, including the GIMME COW FLESH contingent.

I'm an omnivore who happens to want more protein...drinking kefir and eating greek yogurt and egg white omelettes are the easiest ways I've found.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Field Roast, Mexican Chipotle flavor, has 23 grams of protien per serving, and is relatively low in carbs, with a decent amount of iron to boot. I just discovered this last night, and it made my night. Sad but true. I try to keep my carbs pretty low, so for me it's nuts, eggs, chunks of cheese, tofu, and the occasional meat substitute. Also almond butter by the spoonful.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Black soy beans
    hemp hearts
    lentils

My morning green smoothie lately has had 22 grams of protein: hemp hearts, soy milk etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Field Roast, Mexican Chipotle flavor, has 23 grams of protien per serving, and is relatively low in carbs, with a decent amount of iron to boot. I just discovered this last night, and it made my night. Sad but true. I try to keep my carbs pretty low, so for me it's nuts, eggs, chunks of cheese, tofu, and the occasional meat substitute. Also almond butter by the spoonful.

Is it tasty?
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and try to eat a lot of proteins like beans, nuts, tofu, yogurt, broccoli, etc. Looking at my nutrition chart, my protein % is really low (12-16%) compared to carbs and fat. Any suggestions for good vegetarian protein sources I might be missing? How can I increase my protein % and reduce fat/carbs?

Eggs. You can get a ton of protein by having a couple with breakfast each morning.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You've got many great suggestions here, which I will probably be repeating. But I use as staples in my vegetarian diet: greek yogurt, 1% cottage cheese, goat cheese, eggs, soy milk. I eat tofu now and then but try to watch my soy content and processed foods made of soy. I also eat a lot of lentils and quinoa. Good protein rich vegetables I eat a lot are asparagus, broccoli, and spinach. Edamame beans are also really tasty and great source of protein! You can buy them frozen in the shells and you just boil quick and eat them. You're welcome to take a look at my food diary, it's open.

I find a good way to get protein without the processed vegetarian foods is by making your own high protein recipes, ex I make a lentil loaf, or you can make veggie burgers with beans and quinoa.

Here's two recipes I really like:
    (1) http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/lentil-loaf.php - I usually add more lentils to this than what the recipe says to make a bigger serving size and higher protein.
    (2) http://www.marthastewart.com/359922/stub
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

Is it tasty?

Yes, it is spicy and is one of the few meat substitutes I can eat without feeling like it's gross and made of nothing but chemicals. Usually I chop it and add it to other things, but it isn't bad solo either.