Water

Options
Hi just a quick question, when logging how much water we drink can a cup of black coffee with no milk or sugar count ?

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I think no because of the caffeine - caffeine is a diuretic.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think water is just that, water. When I log my daily water intake I do not count anything other than plain ol' water.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I hear tell that Teas count but not coffee, sodas, etc...
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think no because of the caffeine - caffeine is a diuretic.

That's right. I count tea, but not coffee or soda.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I hear tell that Teas count but not coffee, sodas, etc...

I'm wary of this since some teas have caffeine too, although I've seen some debate.

Anyway - what everyone else said - Water's water and coffee, mercifully, has plenty of caffeine :)
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you are going to count it and truly up to you think 250 ml or a measuring cup is 8 oz, so depending on how big your cup of coffee is depends on how much you log.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As far as drinks, I only count water and teas that haven't been fermented (green or white teas, but not black tea). I think if drinks like coffee are counted, then the water that's naturally in food should count too, if you up your water intake goal.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i only count water...
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    yes its a fluid therefore it counts. The cafferine / diuretic. is very much over rated if you drink an 8 oz cup 7 oz would most likey be kept by the body
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I count my coffee -- because it makes me run to the bathroom. :-)
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    a little more info

Back in 1928, caffeine was shown to have no significant impact on urinary output. Subsequent studies have shown that caffeine-containing beverages did not impact urinary output any differently than other beverages. Based on this, the Institute of Medicine recommends that "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages."

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water. The coffee or tea goes into my food diary.
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I count water and caffeine-free tea as water, but not coffee or anything else.
  • DJHackman
    DJHackman Posts: 8
    Options
    Thx for the info, I have decided to count cups of coffee as water, even if coffee is/was to count as 1 calorie its not entirely bad for my daily count, I tend to have about 3-4 cups of coffee in 15 hours along with 3-4 cups of plain water so I guess im on track for my water intake for the day :)