Am I still burning calories?

Options
So, today I walked 60 minutes on the treadmill about 2.5-2.7 pace. It was what I could handle without jogging, and I have ankle/foot problems. So, is walking at a slow(ish) to moderate pace still effective or should I be doing something else? I did go swimming for 60 minutes too.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Any activity burns calories, but the more intense the activity the greater the burn.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would say keep with it! If that's what is doable for you and enjoyable, stick with that!
    Weight loss will come with a calorie deficit, exercise will keep you in shape and give you endurance.
    Walking and swimming are great! And you can always work towards other exercises. For now, I would say it's good!

Keep with it! Best of luck!
  • ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You are so burning calories! All activity is counted. When I started I was doing 30 minutes of cardio. Now I do 60-70 minutes at a much faster pace. The trick is to work up to it. Keep going and celebrate yourself with non-food rewards!
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear this is still burning calories. I hate the treadmill so much, but now its all worth it :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you have ankle / foot problems, maybe mix up the walking with a different exercise like the Swimming. Swimming is great!! :D
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    When i started out, i swear i was the slowest walker on earth, thanks to some tendinitis in my ankle and foot. I stuck with it and was eventually able to start going faster and longer without the same problems. Then i started jogging...slower than most people walk, but oh well! I'm faster now and can jog longer than before. I lost a lot of weight just walking because weight loss is mostly what you eat. But the exercise certainly helped me get into shape so i feel a lot better.

So yes, it does burn calories, and the more you do it, the more you'll be able to do and the better shape you'll be in. :D
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you have ankle or foot problems, get them checked out before stressing them any further. Sometimes you could be making things worse by continuing to put pressure or walk on an injury without letting it heal.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, check it out with the doctor, but most of the time, ankle, foot, and knee problems are because of supporting too much weight. The treadmill has always been the easiest for me even though I was way overweight. Now that my weight's come down a bit, I'm playing with upping the speed and incline and really working out on it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everything burns calories. Good job!