Drinking in moderation

When you go to a bar what do you drink? It is easy for me not to drink alcohol when I am not at an event or going out with friends. When we go out, I feel the need to drink, and also want to, but I know that alcohol is not good for weight loss. Except for "Skinny margaritas" and such, what do you suggest to drink?

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Shorts with low calorie mixers are the lowest calorie alcoholic drink- or have bottles of beer 330ml when your pals order pints to drink about half as much. My worst issue is the reduced self control around food.
  • Fatfurie
    Fatfurie Posts: 20 Member
    Yeah I definitely need to have more self control around food, but I would hate to cut out drinks altogether! I need a good solution for Friday and Saturday nights!
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    people give me *kitten* about this ALL the time but I drink low cal beers on days that I can't fit anything better in my daily intake. it works for me. i don't mind the taste plus the ABV is pretty friggin low so i don't feel like crapola the next day. but, if you don't want your friends giving you *kitten* OR you can't handle the taste then go with vodka.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I would just drink dirt sprite with vodka or something like that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Diet. Not dirt.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Rye whiskey on the rocks. I can have quite a few and stay in my deficit, and it's my favorite drink.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    vodka water with lemon …comes in at about 60 calories a shot …

and alcohol won't ruin your progress unless it puts you into a surplus….
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Vodka and diet something or other. Rum and diet coke. Stuff like that.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I like bourbon. Neat.
  • Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Gin and slimline tonic comes in at 55 cals per drink happy days :)
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Gin and soda - 80ish cals a glass
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Generally high proof either straight or with something 0 calorie.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Balance in all things. Just keep it within your calorie limits and you'll be fine. I don't drink (any more) but it applies to this as well as anything else.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    I generally don't drink, but when I do, I go for quality over quantity I say. I usually have a glass of wine, and make sure it's a good one. And a cocktail if I'm having a special one!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I generally don't drink, but when I do, I go for quality over quantity I say. I usually have a glass of wine, and make sure it's a good one. And a cocktail if I'm having a special one!

I don't generally drink beer, but when I do, I drink DOS XX.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    I second the calls for rye or bourbon and will add scotch to that list. I think mixers add unnecessary calories and sugar if you are trying to diet (and I'm a whiskey-lover anyway). Drinking whiskey neat or on the rocks has low calories and unlike vodka, you taste the alcohol more, so you are less likely to toss them back quickly and not notice. I generally buy a nicer scotch or bourbon and savor the deliciousness while my friends overindulge in 2-3 drinks to my 1.
  • Fatfurie
    Fatfurie Posts: 20 Member
    kelfran1 wrote: »
    I second the calls for rye or bourbon and will add scotch to that list. I think mixers add unnecessary calories and sugar if you are trying to diet (and I'm a whiskey-lover anyway). Drinking whiskey neat or on the rocks has low calories and unlike vodka, you taste the alcohol more, so you are less likely to toss them back quickly and not notice. I generally buy a nicer scotch or bourbon and savor the deliciousness while my friends overindulge in 2-3 drinks to my 1.

That's true. I've been drinking vodka so that I drink a healthier drink (less cals than whiskey) but I feel like I need more.
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    I personally hate diet drinks but if you're really worried about calories, vodka and diet coke. Or vodka, soda and fresh lime. Either way, you only have to track the vodka
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    I drink vodka-sugar free red bull. Less than 100 calories drink. And it's yummy
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Usually bourbon. I typically keep it to one drink.