needing advice on sore muscles

Options
I do cardio 5-6 times a week. yesterday I started strength training at my gym and today my arms, chest, and back are so sore! I'm new to this, so I dont know if I should let my body recover or keep pushing through it. any advice??

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be sore a day or two after working a particular muscle group. You don't want to work with weights for the same body parts every day--better to skip a day at least in between. When you're lifting weights, you're actually creating tiny tears in the muscles and you have to let them rest and repair before working them again. You actually build the musce in the rest phase post exercise, so the rest days for each muscle group are important.

But yes, you can lift again if you are still a little sore.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5-6 times a week. yesterday I started strength training at my gym and today my arms, chest, and back are so sore! I'm new to this, so I dont know if I should let my body recover or keep pushing through it. any advice??

No weight lifting for that muscle group till at least tomorrow. I know it feels like cardio would be hell today but some sort of movement will get the blood flow moving and you'll feel better!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    The advice I was given, that really worked for me is this:
    #1. Extra protein after the workouts.
    #2. Extra water today.
    #3. Do some cardio to get those muscles warmed up, then spend extra time stretching.

I found all 3 of these really effective in helping me! :) Feel better! (But, enjoy the burn!) :)
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Stretch before and after your sessions!

I also recommend keeping bath salts, Epsom or Dead Sea (my personal fav), on hand. A nice bath after a hard workout (either strength or cardio training) does wonders as the salts and warm water help move the built up lactic acid out of your system.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Rosieflo is spot on. Eat protein after a hard workout as this will help replace the amino acids you lose in your muscles during a workout and help them repair faster. Carbs (the healthy, non-processed kind) eaten within 15 minutes of working out will help replace the glycogen in your muscles as well. And yes, water water water water, post-workout AND the following day.

If I'm really sore, I find that doing a light workout helps, followed by some good stretching. I know this seems to go against all logic, but getting the blood and oxygen to your muscles will actually improve them, giving you some much needed relief.

Keep up the great work. Being that sore means you REALLY worked hard - and that's fantastic!
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    #2. Extra water today.
    #3. Do some cardio to get those muscles warmed up, then spend extra time stretching.

I found all 3 of these really effective in helping me! :) Feel better! (But, enjoy the burn!) :)
    This, with the additional comment that the protein should be quick-digesting (whey is good) and should include high glycemic carbs to "shuttle" the BCAAs in to the muscle. My post-workout drink is a double serving of orange gatorade concentrate with a single serving of vanilla whey, blended in a shaker bottle with cold water - it tastes like a dreamcicle and has done wonders in minimizing the pain levels and speeding my recovery from DOMS.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    #2. Extra water today.

This, with the additional comment that the protein should be quick-digesting (whey is good) and should include high glycemic carbs to "shuttle" the BCAAs in to the muscle. My post-workout drink is a double serving of orange gatorade concentrate with a single serving of vanilla whey, blended in a shaker bottle with cold water - it tastes like a dreamcicle and has done wonders in minimizing the pain levels and speeding my recovery from DOMS.

I love mixing my protein with orange gatorade! It really is like a dreamsicle...when I'm home I blend it with ice cubes..oh so good, it's more like a dessert!