For the ladies: PMS cravings + increased appetite

Options
I get insaaaane cravings when I'm PMSing, and can eat about 3 times the amount I normally eat.

Does anyone else have the same problem? How do you deal with it so that you don't go over your calorie goal?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Go hard in the gym the week before. Log everything. Move on.
  • meixnekm
    meixnekm Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If it's not around, you can't eat it! I try to keep the chocolate out of the house so I can't binge on it! At the same time, I don't deny myself a treat if needed, but moderation is key!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Try to have only healthy foods around. If you're going to binge, at least do it on carrots instead of cookies. And use fat-free ranch dressing as a dip instead of the sour cream & onion dip. (Also, some people think that having enough micronutrients, as from a multivitamin or eating lots of fruits & veggies, lowers cravings. Not sure about that, but it can't hurt.)

Give in to the cravings, a little bit. Instead of a whole brownie mix (or pan of brownies), go to the bakery and buy _one_, take it home, enjoy it mindfully. Small bites, put it down on the pretty plate between each bite, revel in the chocolate, the chewy, everything that's so right about brownies.

Exercise a little more. Don't go overboard, but try to offset some of the damage.

Be flexible. You know this is going to happen, it's totally normal, so expect it, log it, move on. Realize that you're going to eat a bit more for several days. It will slow you reaching your goal, but you'll get there.
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm right there with you! I'm having some fierce cravings today... Then my boyfriend made 120+ gooey Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies with Reese's chips in them to bring to his job... And to top it off, he brought me one to "examine the done-ness", which I promptly grabbed and stuffed into my mouth like a starved lion. lol.

I've found that eating red meat helps a lot with my cravings, while fried food and bread make them worse.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Yeah its horrible - but I actually have noticed a big improvement since I got my IUD. If that is a possibility for you, I recommend it.
  • Lacey0903
    Lacey0903 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is me today, for sure. Just downed some white cheddar skinny pop & a couple Hershey kisses earlier today. Stayed under my calorie count but I still kinda want to eat my kitchen... Damn hormones.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You metabolism does increase slightly during this time of the month I usually multiply my maintenance calorie limit by 1.1 for one or two days and eat up to this many calories (instead of trying to maintain a deficit). It's one - two days out of the whole month and it's better to eat slightly more than maintenance, than to try restrict calories and then you end up binging/snacking too much and eating like 3x your daily limit.

Other good tips are to get in a nice long walk/good gym sesh (although, myself, I find that at this time of the month my performance is definitely down at the gym - but just going is the main thing) and LOTS of water and sleep =)
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My PMS issue is chocolate. Chocolate kills me. I crave it constantly. For me I'm trying to discipline myself to 1 skinny cow chocolate bar a day.
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    Have your craving in moderation...

Or...

Keep it out of the house

Or...

Constantly drink water.

Or...

Chew mint flavoured gum all the time.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Try to have only healthy foods around. If you're going to binge, at least do it on carrots instead of cookies. And use fat-free ranch dressing as a dip instead of the sour cream & onion dip. (Also, some people think that having enough micronutrients, as from a multivitamin or eating lots of fruits & veggies, lowers cravings. Not sure about that, but it can't hurt.)

Give in to the cravings, a little bit. Instead of a whole brownie mix (or pan of brownies), go to the bakery and buy _one_, take it home, enjoy it mindfully. Small bites, put it down on the pretty plate between each bite, revel in the chocolate, the chewy, everything that's so right about brownies.

Exercise a little more. Don't go overboard, but try to offset some of the damage.

Be flexible. You know this is going to happen, it's totally normal, so expect it, log it, move on. Realize that you're going to eat a bit more for several days. It will slow you reaching your goal, but you'll get there.

Now I'm craving a nice, chewy, soft, delicious brownie!!!
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    Mech9 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm right there with you! I'm having some fierce cravings today... Then my boyfriend made 120+ gooey Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies with Reese's chips in them to bring to his job... And to top it off, he brought me one to "examine the done-ness", which I promptly grabbed and stuffed into my mouth like a starved lion. lol.

I've found that eating red meat helps a lot with my cravings, while fried food and bread make them worse.

Send me a cookie please!

Red meat huh? I've never heard that! Will definitely try. Thanks!
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips everyone!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    OK...I'm 50...yup, been a this PMS thing a loooooong time. that being said, It surprises me every month. I also keep hoping that TOM will just go away (isn't that supposed to happen around this age?). Wednesday I was out for happy hour with girlfriends and I was hungry...chose to not drink any calories but did not choose to resist the bar food...then when I got home, still hungry. this is not usual for me, and surprise what came the next day? so sad....want it to go away! My other favorite app btw is "period tracker"....at least now I can tell when it is supposed to come easily! :-)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    sorry didn't offer any advice in there...well maybe a couple of tidbits (don't drink your calories, write it all down) just venting!
  • turtlesaver
    Options
    I second the red meat. Around that time I take an additional magnesium supplement in addition to my daily vitamin, and I try to plan to eat some red meat with my salads and veggies. This normally keeps my cravings manageable.
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    OK...I'm 50...yup, been a this PMS thing a loooooong time. that being said, It surprises me every month. I also keep hoping that TOM will just go away (isn't that supposed to happen around this age?). Wednesday I was out for happy hour with girlfriends and I was hungry...chose to not drink any calories but did not choose to resist the bar food...then when I got home, still hungry. this is not usual for me, and surprise what came the next day? so sad....want it to go away! My other favorite app btw is "period tracker"....at least now I can tell when it is supposed to come easily! :-)

Mine is like clockwork, but it still gets me every time too. The mood swings, the hunger. I normally get full reaaally fast, but when I'm PMSing, I could literally eat all day and not ever feel full. No wonder a lot of us struggle with our weight!
  • Deedee1111111
    Options
    I second the red meat. Around that time I take an additional magnesium supplement in addition to my daily vitamin, and I try to plan to eat some red meat with my salads and veggies. This normally keeps my cravings manageable.

Awesome! Meat/veggie combo for dinner is one of my faves, so this is good news.