Is being hungry a good or bad thing, and to what degree?

Options
Hello all! Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to lose weight (10-15 lbs), and I have a calorie goal of 1350. I try to stay as close to that goal as possible, but often I find that I am quite hungry at night, and often during the day as well. I know that in order to lose weight, I am consuming fewer calories than I am taking in, and as such, feeling hungry is expected, but I'm not sure how to tell if I am in a 'healthy' hunger range or if I am eating too little for my metabolism (I wouldn't want it to slow down, XD).

Maybe it's just the first stage of the diet? And if so, do you have any tips on how to feel less hungry or how to effectively curb hunger in a low-calorie way? (As an FYI, I'm already taking weight loss/appetite curbing supplements.)

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have a goal of 1350 (hopefully you don't have your goal set too aggressively, with so little to lose it should be 1/2 pound a week), but earn more through exercise. You need to utilize that, so you're not hungry. pre-planning an then pre logging your day, helps tremendously.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Being a little hungry is okay, being famished is not okay. What Lis says above is perfect advice. Plan your food out a little better.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Being able to acknowledge hunger without panicking or binging is a good thing. Trying to deliberately feel hungry all the time is not.

If being hungry affects your mood, I'm guessing your family will consider it a bad thing lol
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kikkaviki wrote: »
    do you have any tips on how to feel less hungry or how to effectively curb hunger in a low-calorie way? (As an FYI, I'm already taking weight loss/appetite curbing supplements.)

Thanks! :smile:

Tips:
    - Eat 20-25 grams of fiber every day. Beans and lentils are an easy way to get that in, berries too - other options here:
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/063008p28.shtml

- Eat 20+ grams of protein at every meal. Good picks: chicken, fish, lean red meats, low-fat Greek yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/best-sources-protein
    Some veggies have more protein than you'd think
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/high-protein-vegetables

- Fats are not usually a problem for most people, but if you're restricting a lot of fat, have some. I like butter, olive oil, and dairy as sources, personally.

These are ways to hit your macronutrients (carbohydrates, which include fiber; protein; and fat). The suggestions above are ways of hitting a ratio that works to keep a lot of people full (you may need more or less).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I personally dislike feeling hungry, so my weekly weight loss goal is modest.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I struggle differentiating between hunger and just feeling like something yummy....
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I eat around 1600 each day regardless of exercise. For me, if I feel dizzy and sick from not eating then I will go and get something to eat if I am not at home. If I am at home, snack throughout the day to keep the hunger at bay. Dizzy ==== bad, Bit Hungry == ok.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Outside of hunger right before a meal, I'm never hungry. You should not be abnormally hungry while dieting.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Aside from feeling hungry before a meal time or after a very strenuous workout I haven't been hungry since I started.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I see it as a good thing. It tells me that I'm accomplishing something. Before I started losing weight, I was never hungry, but I ate anyway.