Are protein bars healthy?

Options
LuckyMe2017
LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
When I up my protein calories, If I don't eat protein bars during the day, I have to eat 8-10oz meat for dinner to reach my goal. The protein bar is easier because I can eat it at anytime and don't feel like I am stuffing myself. Are bars healthy?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    Spread the protein out over the day and have a meal for dinner instead of a protein bar for dinner, or at least add a side of vegetables and a nice sauce to that protein bar.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    How high is your protein goal? I get about 120 grams of protein a day and I don't have to eat 8 ounces of meat for dinner.

I work in protein throughout the day though.

I do have a protein bar or a shake four or five times a week. Usually just if I don't have time to cook or shop. Bars and shakes can be really convenient. Some of them taste really good so if a craving hits I swap candy and sweets for a protein bar.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    How high is your protein goal? I get about 120 grams of protein a day and I don't have to eat 8 ounces of meat for dinner.

I do have a protein bar or a shake four or five times a week. Usually just if I don't have time to cook or shop. Bars and shakes can be really convenient. Some of them taste really good so if a craving hits I swap candy and sweets for a protein bar.

Mine is 30%/112g
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to protein bars and shakes. I have a hard time hitting my goals (160g) even when I'm eating them. I'm not a big fan of meat so I have to get it any way I can. Cottage cheese and eggs are my favorite non-meat options other than the bars/shakes.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    How many grams of protein are in your bars? I have not had any this week but last month I ate 1 Met-Rx per day.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars have 20 grams each. (They are not as expensive as some of the tastier options. Quest Bars are super tasty and tend to have about 20 grams each but cost quite a bit.)

I have not tried Met-Rx.
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    They're just as healthy as any other processed food. It's not the best thing you could be eating but it's convenient and better than caving to that raspberry danish at Starbucks. Pick one that doesn't taste horrible and watch the sugar content. If you're eating more than one a day to hit your goal then take a look at where you could add protein in your diet. For example, instead of snacking on carrots or celery try edamame. Try to use whole milk dairy products instead of skim (the increase in fat will not hurt you). Eat eggs. Lots of eggs. And spread that 8 - 10 oz of meat across the day instead of cramming it into dinner.

Also, don't feel like you absolutely have to hit that protein goal. Unless you're doing competitive iron sports you won't notice a difference.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars have 20 grams each. (They are not as expensive as some of the tastier options. Quest Bars are super tasty and tend to have about 20 grams each but cost quite a bit.)

I have not tried Met-Rx.

Ok. I think I have seen quest brand. Mine have 28-30g. I have not thought about the quality in terms of pureness?
  • ibamosaserreinas
    Options
    I don't think Pure Protein Bars are actually more pure or higher quality or anything. They are just more reasonably priced. They are like $1.50 each compared to $2.50 for other types.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time finding ones that aren't loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners.
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I personally love Quest Oreo bars. (180 cals, 21g carb, 7g fat, 21g protein). Or Power Bar I eat post workout also about the same macros. I've been finding Powerbar at places like Vons 10 for $10 and I like to order Quest from Amazon $24 a box.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Read the list of ingredients on the labels and decide for yourself.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Same. I eat protein throughout the day. I can easily wind up eating more protein in my first two meals than is needed and wind up with little need for protein in the evening, or I can over-eat my goals. I ate almost 160g last night, so I'm not bothering to make sure i hit my 120g goal (which I probably will reach anyway if I do a greek yogurt + nutella or PB + frozen raspberries combo)

My diary is open if you need to see how a 120g goal is reached, OP. I eat any protein source that I like, nothing is off limits. I rarely use protein powder/bars on their own now, I will buy PowerBar ones though if I am starving on the go and need something to eat. I liked the Pure Protein ones as well, Xtreme is another decent one (300ish cals). I also will increase the amount of meat I use in recipes that call for meat, or I will add meat if htey don't (e.g. soup, macaroni).

ETA I've been ~200 short since Sunday for calories because I'm not doing my normal workout routine this week (midterms) and I use TDEE method, so I just decided to eat 200 less for the week.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Same. I eat protein throughout the day. I can easily wind up eating more protein in my first two meals than is needed and wind up with little need for protein in the evening, or I can over-eat my goals. I ate almost 160g last night, so I'm not bothering to make sure i hit my 120g goal (which I probably will reach anyway if I do a greek yogurt + nutella or PB + frozen raspberries combo)

My diary is open if you need to see how a 120g goal is reached, OP. I eat any protein source that I like, nothing is off limits. I rarely use protein powder/bars on their own now, I will buy PowerBar ones though if I am starving on the go and need something to eat. I liked the Pure Protein ones as well, Xtreme is another decent one (300ish cals). I also will increase the amount of meat I use in recipes that call for meat, or I will add meat if htey don't (e.g. soup, macaroni).

ETA I've been ~200 short since Sunday for calories because I'm not doing my normal workout routine this week (midterms) and I use TDEE method, so I just decided to eat 200 less for the week.

Thanks. I will check out your entries
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    be careful of the ingredients in Protein Bars. Most of them are loaded with sugar. Quest is the best in terms nutrients & protein but spendy. Pure Protein are almost a third of the cost with lots of protein and very low sugar. Good Luck!
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time finding ones that aren't loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Excellent point. Some of them I could easily the ingredients and nutrient label aside a snickers and not be able to tell the difference.

I usually eat Quest bars. What do people think of those?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

Thanks. I will check out your entries

Np. All of the recipes though will not show ingredient info, but for e.g. the sloppy joes I've been eating are made with ground turkey breast (tastes better with beef but we just had the turkey). Things like protein pancakes or baked oatmeal have added protein powder in them. Not much else I can think of that needs clarification though.
  • jsroy
    jsroy Posts: 1
    Options
    Been happy with Quest bars and they are low in sugar also.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I have some CNP xs protein bars.

They taste like dirty cardboard. My dog had the last one I tried to eat.

Millionaire's shortbread protein powder in porridge
    Couple of chicken breast
    Some wafer thin processed (EVIL EVIL) chicken
    Some wafer thin processed (EVIL EVIL) turkey ham
    Tuna and cottage cheese
    Spicy chicken pizza with some added beef mince
    Milk

Protein macros done.