Question for People who have already lost some amount of weight

Options
Silent_Loss
Silent_Loss Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
I had a query, for those of you who did Cardio along with Strength Training to lose weight.
Did you find that 1) Weight loss happened first and then muscle density grew later OR 2) Did they both happen simultaneously ?
Sorry if this is a stupid question . I am trying to lose weight while not losing muscular gains . So wanted to know how you guys did it

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Umm...I don't quite understand the question. I think the answer is if you strength train in a deficit you will maintain more muscle mass than if you had not. And cardio is fine.

I did it by doing very little cardio, and focusing on lifting heavy. The fat came off with my calorie deficit, probably a little bit of muscle too, but I'm really really happy with how much I maintained.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    According to this body fat calculator, I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of muscle (which is probably just measurement error, and I've actually only maintained... which is perfectly fine!).

It's happened at the same time.
    I do plenty of cardio, aiming for an hour a day, and weightlift 2-3 times per week.
    As I'm getting closer to goal, I want to increase the intensity of my weightlifting.

51637601.png
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to gain more than a smithering of muscle weight more than a losing a LOT body fat first. People are always saying when someone is trying to lose weight but gains instead, "Oh, you are gaining muscle because muscle weighs more than fat.". Well, guess what. 65% of our body weight is WATER, so that theory is out of the window. If you want to lose weight, eat less and move more.
  • Kazzsjourney2
    Kazzsjourney2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The muscle will simply show more as you lose fat, your aim while losing weight is to maintain your lean mass.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Umm...I don't quite understand the question. I think the answer is if you strength train in a deficit you will maintain more muscle mass than if you had not. And cardio is fine.

I did it by doing very little cardio, and focusing on lifting heavy. The fat came off with my calorie deficit, probably a little bit of muscle too, but I'm really really happy with how much I maintained.

same. I'm only doing more cardio now because my cardiovascular health wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. PLus it gives me a slighlty higher calorie goal.

You cannot build muscle while dieting down.
  • ana3067
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    According to this body fat calculator, I've lost 81 lb of fat & gained 4 lb of muscle (which is probably just measurement error, and I've actually only maintained... which is perfectly fine!).

I do plenty of cardio, aiming for an hour a day, and weightlift 2-3 times per week.
    As I'm getting closer to goal, I want to increase the intensity of my weightlifting.

51637601.png

I'm going to guess that, because LBM is more than just muscle, you just gained more water weight and/or bone density.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options

51637601.png

I love you for this! Ive been looking for a body fat estimator!
  • ana3067
    Options

51637601.png

I love you for this! Ive been looking for a body fat estimator!

They are not very accurate. Increased lean mass calculation could easily be from user error as well.