Can somebody please tell me WHY?

Options
Why is it when you working hard the scale Just stops moving, I have started working out two times a day, in the morning and evening and since I have put in more effort but I have seen no progress since last week #im always under my calorie dificit

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Because a change up in exercise will cause water to be retained for muscle repair
    Because weight loss is not linear
    Because weight is lost in the kitchen
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. Weight does not come off evenly. TOM, sodium, water in muscle for repair.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Probably freaked your body out.

Eating likely 1/2 less than what it used to get before the diet.

And now probably working out 2 x what you used to do before the change.

Not a lovely combo.

Constantly elevated stress hormone cortisol can cause water to retain, upwards of 20 lbs.

Suggest you use the tools correctly, meet your eating goal.
    And that means logging all the exercise too if you aren't.

You willing to miss your goal weight by say, 10%, and say that's close enough?

Unstressed body will lose just fat. Stress it out with likely what you are doing, and say goodbye to muscle mass too. You'll want that later.
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So you guys are suggesting I stop working out and watch what I eat and logg my food? That's all?
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I suggest you ditch the scales. Last year I dieted hard to get into a dress for a big event and did really tough bootcamps and running several days a week. I lost not a single pound. But I got into the dress and the assistant took one look at me and said I needed the smaller size and she was right.
    Weight matters, but not as much as size and fitness matter. If your jeans are feeling looser and your body is looking more toned, you're on track. Keep working out!
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone suggested you stop working out. Exercise does often cause water retention for when the muscles need to repair themselves. But it's just that, water retention; it's not fat gain and therefore nothing to worry about. You'll start to see the scale move again eventually, it just takes some time to adjust. You should maybe do some light exercise for a couple days then go back to what you were doing. Working out is a great way to preserve lean muscle mass and get your body looking nice as the weight comes off.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Also a tip I heard (which I don't follow but should) is don't eat back those exercise calories. If you want to lose weight fast stick to the mfp suggested calories, exercise and ignore the extra earned calories until you are on maintenance.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Also a tip I heard (which I don't follow but should) is don't eat back those exercise calories. If you want to lose weight fast stick to the mfp suggested calories, exercise and ignore the extra earned calories until you are on maintenance.
    Terrible advice
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options

It's actually more commonly suggested to only eat back half your exercise calories, as MFP can often over estimate your burn. It's not a good idea to eat none of them back. Your body needs that fuel.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So you guys are suggesting I stop working out and watch what I eat and logg my food? That's all?

How did you read that into it?

We are saying - log your food properly and accurately - that's where you lose weight

Keep up the exercise and don't sweat the lack of scale movement because water weight counts
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Where does it say stop working out? Do you understand how weight loss works?
    Are you logging your food?
    Are you weighing your food?
    Are you counting calories?
    Why are you expecting near instant results?

You ask us a question but give us very few details.

• ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Terrible advice
    This was addressed recently on the blog.

Ask the Dietitian: Should I Eat Back My Exercise Calories? http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-should-i-eat-back-my-exercise-calories/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No!
    What Heybales is telling you is that you may be pushing everything too hard.
    Ramping up exercise volume in a deficit is a real stress on your body at a time when it can least sustain it.

Exercise sensibly, moderate calorie deficit over a long period of time.
    You have a long way to go so don't try and rush it. Make it sustainable.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why is it when you working hard the scale Just stops moving, I have started working out two times a day, in the morning and evening and since I have put in more effort but I have seen no progress since last week #im always under my calorie dificit

Unless you have an endurance event you're training for, there's no need to train twice a day.... Unless you're going to keep that up for the rest of your life?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    We dont know how hard she is working, just she is doing something twice a day.
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I am logging weighing and counting my calories I'm not expecting near instant results but I desire to see a little movement in the numbers on the scale
  • 999tigger
    Options
    since last week #im always under my calorie dificit

Weight loss isnt linear. We dont really have an idea what you are doing without seeing your diary and understanding, what it is you are doing or how large your deficits have been. From your post you want results in less than 5 days. You need to have some patience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I am logging weighing and counting my calories I'm not expecting near instant results but I desire to see a little movement in the numbers on the scale

This is where you're going wrong... It's not all about the scales. Relying just on scale weight as a method of tracking progress will not give you the gratification you want.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Because
  • 999tigger
    Options

This is where you're going wrong... It's not all about the scales. Relying just on scale weight as a method of tracking progress will not give you the gratification you want.

I took it she was weighing her food, but it's unclear. Still goes back to post#1 though.