if you have home gym equipment, where is it?

Options
Hi,
I'm on a mission to help my family get fit too. DH and two boys would love gym equipment (rowing machine, static bike and weights) but I don't know where to put them. DSs say they'd ride stationary bike while watching TV but that would make our living room look a bit... weird?

There's space in the kitchen for one machine, but again, would that look weird? I know if it went in the garage they'd never go in there.

Any ideas?

Replies

• WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Aesthetics shouldn't be your concern, health should be instead. I for instance have a pedal exerciser, at the table; that I eat at. I am actually going to donate some of my furniture because exercise equipment is more important to me & I don't have the room for both. Plus it isn't like, some of it; can't just be used to sit on/like a chair also. Therefore my exercise equipment, is furniture as well. I believe that exercising while watching television, gives you something else to do; besides eat & drink.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I like your attitudes! :smile:
  • WednesdayJanuary07th2015
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cherys wrote: »
    Thank you both. I like your attitudes! :smile:

Your welcome & thank you also!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    All over my apartment. Why would you hide it. ;)
  • ellietill20
    ellietill20 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My exercise bike is in my room. I ride it while I watch TV/Netflix on my computer. :)
  • bigjack69
    bigjack69 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go for the garage....
    That's where my kit is.
    get a TV in there and away you go.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm on a mission to help my family get fit too. DH and two boys would love gym equipment (rowing machine, static bike and weights) but I don't know where to put them. DSs say they'd ride stationary bike while watching TV but that would make our living room look a bit... weird?

There's space in the kitchen for one machine, but again, would that look weird? I know if it went in the garage they'd never go in there.

Any ideas?

One of the bedroom in my house is a 'gym'.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you put a TV and game system in the garage they would be in there. Get some of the PS or Wii fitness games and cruise craigslist and the paper for cheap TV's, or look for one at a shop.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Ours is in the basement.
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If they don't have the motivation to use the equipment themselves it doesn't matter where it is, it won't get used.
  • wootrition
    wootrition Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine is in a large spare bedroom.
  • 1012Anna
    1012Anna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would put it into the living room infront of the tv first. Maybe they get motivated when they start seeing results and have fun with exercising. After a while when they geht used to it, put the stuff into the Garage and they will go there :wink:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have a bike & treadmill in a spare bedroom so I can amuse myself with netflix while doing boring cardio, weights are in the garage that doesn't require a distraction
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical trainer, stationary bike and weight bench behind the sofa so I can watch TV! :)
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    OK, you've all given me some brilliant ideas. Thank you. Think I'll start with a bike or rower in with the TV as I know they'll use it there. then look for a second TV to turn the garage into a gym. Really helpful. Thank you.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky that my DH and I built a dance/yoga/fitness studio in our basement several years ago. It's one of the best investments we ever made!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    My road bike/trainer, yoga mats, weights, balls are in a empty room upstairs I converted into a ''gym''. My treadmill is in the basement.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The den at our condo has most of my weight equipment. At the house we’re renting it is in the sunroom (kettle bells, club bells, stationary bike, and my mobility kit).

• yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Currently, all my weights (cage, barbell, etc.) are in my garage. This works for now, but we're going to be moving it all upstairs to our game room once we have the money to put down proper gym flooring. So excited for that!!
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Any ideas?

We thought about putting ours outside in the detached garage but we had some stuff stolen out of there not that long ago.

We have ours where our dining room should be (we have an eat in kitchen and that room was originally our home office). It's right smack in the center of the house. I think it's rather appropriate since we're making fitness a top priority.

Absolutely no equipment in my living room grrrr!