Maintaining on a lot of calories ? Anyone?

Options
I'm not using MFP to lose weight but more or less to keep track of what I'm eating. I'm eating between 2500-3000 calories average. I exercise 3-5 times a week moderately. I'm 5'3 and just a bit overweight. Is this normal ? It's all healthy food. Is there any other females that aren't Athletes and are maintaining on this much ?????? Am I insane for feeling I physically need this much ? Ps I'm 22

Replies

• orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh ?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    To tell how many calories you maintain on you'd have to record your intake for at least a month really to be accurate, probably more (no idea how long you've been doing it). It doesn't matter that it's healthy food or not in terms of maintaining/losing/gaining weight, it's a numbers game for most people.

I'm 24 and I maintain on about 2150-2200 a day if you were to spread out the calories I burn exercising in an average week out over all 7 days, and it'd be higher if I didn't have a job that requires a fair amount of time in meetings or at a computer, so I can see how you might have a maintenance range like you suspect that you do.
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    155 lbs
    How much do you weigh ?

• orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've put your stats on a calorie calculator website (although the best is just to track during a few weekks / months : if your weight is overall stable, nothing to feel insane about), and yeah your calorie requirements seem correct
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and weigh only a little less and my maintenance is more like 2200, but I have a very sedentary job. I work out at least 3 times a week, and do a bit of walking otherwise, but my job is at a computer. How active are you outside of your workouts? How active is your job? Your numbers seem a bit high to me, but if you have a very active job they might still be right.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I maintain on a large amount of calories too and I am only 5ft 2!! ;)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible... The maintenance estimates from any calculator is based on population averages. It's the tip of a bell curve, and you could be closer to the end of the curve where your metabolism is naturally a big higher.

Or, you're just more active.

But the only way to know if it's accurate is to track carefully for a period of time and observe weight fluctuations.
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    I'm always on my feet at work and school and I workout min 3 times a week for two hours
    I'm the same height and weigh only a little less and my maintenance is more like 2200, but I have a very sedentary job. I work out at least 3 times a week, and do a bit of walking otherwise, but my job is at a computer. How active are you outside of your workouts? How active is your job? Your numbers seem a bit high to me, but if you have a very active job they might still be right.

• sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    How many ???
    steff274 wrote: »

• starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if it's working for you then stick with it! I am 26 and 5'9", not overweight (but don't know my weight) and I eat 2200-2600 usually. But more if I am hungry.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining your weight and have done for a while then you are eating at maintenance calories.
    I'm 5ft 2" and maintain eating between 2100-2300 calories. (I'm 45yrs old with a desk job but very active outside of work)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    How many ???
    steff274 wrote: »

@Steff274 go on tell them how many calories you can eat and still manage to lose lol...as my MFP friend, she makes me jealous I tell ya :smiley:
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    Wow. Many of your numbers seem reasonable. I've been tracking for a year or less and my numbers are semi close so I may need to adjust a bit. Thank you everyone
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well, I initially used MFP lose around 15 pounds. Now I'm trying to maintain my weight. I run 25-35 miles per week & I work a pretty physical job. I walk my dog about 2 miles everyday. (Not part of my runs.) I need to eat about 2500-3000 calories everyday except my "rest" days when I don't run or cross-train. I'm 5'5" & 115lbs. It seems like your calorie intake is pretty high if you're not exercising or active in some other way. If you're not gaining weight though, and you feel good, I say go with it. Everyone is different. If you have a chance to go for a physical or to get your BMR analyzed at a gym or by a dietician, you may get a better idea of what's appropriate for you & your body.
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just reread your original post & saw the "aren't athletes" part & realized my answer probably didn't help much. Haha. Sorry for not reading it thoroughly before posting a reply.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, 5'5'', 120lbs very active and maintain at 2200 a day..
    It is a high number for your height/weight/activity level but as others have said, everyones metabolism is different. I'm sure you have super-skinny friends who can eat whatever they want and not gain a single pound. Then there are some who just have to look at a cake to gain! Anyways, if you found that you maintain at that weight then it doensn't matter what any online calulator has to say, you know your body better.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Although I no longer log my food, I am 5'7" and maintaining on 2040 + calories a day. I have a very active job, do HIIT exercises 4 days a week and lift heavy weights 2 to 3 times a week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Sigh...I wish mine were that high. I don't get it. I am 5'4" and when I was 155 I definitely could not have maintained at those calories. And I was in the gym 5 days a week :(
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 2700 and trying to add some weight back on, was maintaining on 2500 so we'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I've a desk job but lift heavy 4-5 times per week.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, I'm 36 and I maintain on 2200 at 133 pounds.