Training grip

So, I used to not be able to up my deadlift weight because I could simply not maintain grip on the bar for more than maybe 3 reps. Now that I have taken up pole dancing, grip has become even more important and I'd like to make mine stronger. I'm having similar issues doing chin ups and even with the last few reps of lat pull downs.

What are your tips? Do those rings/balls you need to squeeze work and if so, how often/much do you use them? Should I just try hanging on a bar for as long as possible? Buy a power ball? What do you think is most effective?

Note: of course I could just use the straps for deadlifts, but they somehow feel very dodgy to me and I'd rather just strengthen my grip as this will help me in other areas too.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Single and double arm dead hangs. Dumbell carries, pinch grip carries ( plates ). Indoor climbing wall would be fun and train your grip.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Also want to add that grip is something you can overtrain easily. Make sure that you warm up and stretch your forearms afterwards. Some massage would probably help too
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Dead hangs are good along with heavy deadlifts, heavy rows and pull-ups. I try to do at least one exercise per workout day that challenges my grip. It helps a lot but it takes time.

I personally saw the biggest jump by incorporating kroc rows into my workout.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Fat grips and towel/rope chins will do wonders for your grip.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! Climbing is a great tip and a lot of fun, but a bit harder to incorporate daily/weekly.. the other ideas I'll look into, some of them I am already doing, other ones I hadn't even heard of so I'll give them a go :smile:
  • Definetley check out 'Ido Portal' and his 7 minute hang challenge. I could not do a pull up before this but now I can :)http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging
    Good luck!