Are protein bars healthy?

Options

Replies

• AmberAntoine
    Options
    The protein bars are specially used by the athletes who are looking for competitive edge. But a days if anyone wants a nutrition boos or want to boost themselves with protein then they must use protein bar after consulting with your physician or doctor. Protein bars are generally for active people who are looking for something to tide over between workouts and meals.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    The protein bars are specially used by the athletes who are looking for competitive edge. But a days if anyone wants a nutrition boos or want to boost themselves with protein then they must use protein bar after consulting with your physician or doctor. Protein bars are generally for active people who are looking for something to tide over between workouts and meals.

Protein bars can be consumed by anyone. One does not require doctor permission to consume them.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wow! Everybody eats so much protein here! Because I weight train, my protein goal is about 0.75-1g per pound of lean body mass (NOT per pound of total weight) so for me, that's 70-94g of protein per day. I struggle to get the higher amount, but I generally get between 70-80 pretty easily. I can't imagine having to eat the 120-160 a lot of people are doing here. That's twice what I consume. That would be so expensive. I'd be in trouble for sure, since I can't use whey protein (I don't digest casein properly :( )!
  • jenilla1
    Options

What? Who told you that?
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I know most of them taste really good!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Wow! Everybody eats so much protein here! Because I weight train, my protein goal is about 0.75-1g per pound of lean body mass (NOT per pound of total weight) so for me, that's 70-94g of protein per day. I struggle to get the higher amount, but I generally get between 70-80 pretty easily. I can't imagine having to eat the 120-160 a lot of people are doing here. That's twice what I consume. That would be so expensive. I'd be in trouble for sure, since I can't use whey protein (I don't digest casein properly :( )!
    just FYI it's usually rec'd to based that off of total weight, not lean body mass! 0.8 is usually a general number given, based off of total weight. But if you find that the lower intake is okay for you with respect to your weight lifting and body composition goals then just increase if results change.
  • Rickyricardo110
    Options
    The short answer is: No, protein bars are not healthy. Look at the list of ingredients on the average protein bar and you will undoubtedly see some sort of sugar additive.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    just FYI it's usually rec'd to based that off of total weight, not lean body mass! 0.8 is usually a general number given, based off of total weight. But if you find that the lower intake is okay for you with respect to your weight lifting and body composition goals then just increase if results change.

Wow! LOL! I calculated it out using the 0.8 you suggested. For me, that's only like 8g more protein than using the 1g per pound of lean body mass formula. Close enough for me! Maybe that's because my lean mass is already close to 80%. Wonder how it would work for others who don't have as much lean mass... (*)
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    How many grams of protein are in your bars? I have not had any this week but last month I ate 1 Met-Rx per day.
    Those MetRx bars are between 400 and 500 calories. For that amount you can have 1 or 2 meals.
    Yes. I eat half at a time. I will definitely check out Quest since there seems to be a concensus that it is a good option.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    How high is your protein goal? I get about 120 grams of protein a day and I don't have to eat 8 ounces of meat for dinner.

I work in protein throughout the day though.

I do have a protein bar or a shake four or five times a week. Usually just if I don't have time to cook or shop. Bars and shakes can be really convenient. Some of them taste really good so if a craving hits I swap candy and sweets for a protein bar.

Same. I eat protein throughout the day. I can easily wind up eating more protein in my first two meals than is needed and wind up with little need for protein in the evening, or I can over-eat my goals. I ate almost 160g last night, so I'm not bothering to make sure i hit my 120g goal (which I probably will reach anyway if I do a greek yogurt + nutella or PB + frozen raspberries combo)

My diary is open if you need to see how a 120g goal is reached, OP. I eat any protein source that I like, nothing is off limits. I rarely use protein powder/bars on their own now, I will buy PowerBar ones though if I am starving on the go and need something to eat. I liked the Pure Protein ones as well, Xtreme is another decent one (300ish cals). I also will increase the amount of meat I use in recipes that call for meat, or I will add meat if htey don't (e.g. soup, macaroni).

ETA I've been ~200 short since Sunday for calories because I'm not doing my normal workout routine this week (midterms) and I use TDEE method, so I just decided to eat 200 less for the week.

Thanks. I will check out your entries

Np. All of the recipes though will not show ingredient info, but for e.g. the sloppy joes I've been eating are made with ground turkey breast (tastes better with beef but we just had the turkey). Things like protein pancakes or baked oatmeal have added protein powder in them. Not much else I can think of that needs clarification though.

Thanks for info. Is your diary restricted to friends. I don't see it.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "Real" foods will generally be a better option, so eat that 12oz steak or whatever you're going to do to get your protein in. Protein bars, powders, liquid shots, etc. are fine for hitting your numbers as long as you're not basically living on them. They'll get you the protein you need, but usually don't do much for you in the whey of micronutrients.

Quest and Pure Protein are the bees knees.

Optimum Nutrition and Truetein are powders that won't make you gag. Be sure to drink with milk, not water.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    I weigh 180ish. That would put me at 170g or 50% + of total calories.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options

I do 30% and that puts me at 112g. I was surprised to see the high numbers of others as well, esp if not training.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For those in the UK, even better than Quest (if you're ok with having just one flavour and it being chocolate) are the Peak Body Pro Lite 25 bars. 4g carbs, 25g protein, 177 cals. I've not found anything to beat them. Cheapest right now is in the Dolphin Fitness online store. They work out at a not much more than a pound each after postage. Here you go: http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/peak-body-pro-lite-30-bar/23607
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I think you have protein bars confused with PEDs
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else, you have to look at the nutrition information and figure out which one works best (and tastes ok) for you. My husband tried some different protein bars and has ended up preferring the Clif Builder Bars.

I like a certain protein bar, but more for it's fiber content than anything else. I guess just because I haven't had much trouble boosting my protein with stuff like string cheese, greek yogurt, and whatever else I eat - I've ended up okay on my protein numbers.

The "protein bar" I like is Chocolite protein bar - moreso because it has about 10g fiber in it, but the 10g protein doesn't hurt either!! I get them from www.healthsmartfoods.com, and there are coupon codes on www.retailmenot.com

So - make sure you know what you're using it for (more protein? more fiber? other nutritional considerations?), and it serves that purpose (nutritionally).
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    They're not unhealthy...
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If you just need a protein top up then consider a powder. Many 'protein' bars have less protein that either fat or carbs so it depends what you need. Whatever fits your requirements
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    For those in the UK, even better than Quest (if you're ok with having just one flavour and it being chocolate) are the Peak Body Pro Lite 25 bars. 4g carbs, 25g protein, 177 cals. I've not found anything to beat them. Cheapest right now is in the Dolphin Fitness online store. They work out at a not much more than a pound each after postage. Here you go: http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/peak-body-pro-lite-30-bar/23607

Thanks