My stats:

- 18 years old
- Male
- 6ft 1 inches
- 76 kg (167 pounds)
- 2600 maintainence calories
- 3200 calories currently eating
- Training heavy 5 times a week mostly compound movements and little isolation
- Trained on and off for around a year previously with absolutely no focus on nutrition but gained some strength
- Bulking at 3200 calories for just over a month
- Very fast metabolism

I would just like to know if there is a limit to how far you can go over your maintainence calories whilst first starting to bulk properly with a very high metabolism.

Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Your metabolism seems pretty normal to me based on your activity. You need to be 500 calories a day over maintenance to gain a pound a week.

I wouldn't go higher than that because you'll gain more fat than muscle.
  • reecej333
    reecej333 Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2015
    With my metabolism being so high, I really can't see myself putting on any fat at all. I'm hitting just over 4000 calories a day now.

@Wheelhouse15‌
  • _sambaxter
    _sambaxter Posts: 5 Member
    Just like wheels said, 500 calories over maintainence is ideal to put on a lbs a week.

Casein is a good supplement to take before bed as its slow releasing protein and you're making the gains while you sleep! A little over 3200 won't be harmful if it's a low fat source
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    reecej333 wrote: »
    With my metabolism being so high, I really can't see myself putting on any fat at all. I'm hitting just over 4000 calories a day now.

@Wheelhouse15‌

Ok, 4000 wasn't clear in your initial post but the rules are going to be the same. Just figure out your maintenance and then add about 500. You will gain some fat as you go up, no matter how fast it is, but you'll just have to eat more to keep moving forward. If 4000 isn't adding any weight than keep adding another 100 calories a day each week until the scale moves. Then add another 200 after that and see how it goes. If you like how fast you are gaining stop, if not add again.

It's not hard in theory but it can be a pain in reality.
  • mate stick to the 4000..don't exceed this amount..it is all patience & consistency..the weight will add on if you continue strict training and eating habits..remember to set a target that is sustainable & not something you may become inconsistent with..1400 cals over maintenance is large!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I think a better approach might be to just pick a reasonable calorie goal, eat to that target daily and monitor the scale for a couple of weeks. Adjust that number upwards or downwards based on rate of gain.

Given your age and training experience you can probably land in the 3-4lbs/month range and be in a good spot.