Not a thirsty person

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Is it that bad that I don't drink glasses and glasses of water all day ? I mean I drink when I am thirsty and I do drink 2-3 cups of oolong tea (plain nothing in it). But I don't push water all day long. I have read so many different opinions about it. I even read one that is supposed to be a new study that said drink when you are thirsty there is no reason to over drink water your body will tell you when you need it. Which actually makes sense to me cause my body lets me know everything thing else, ie hungry, tired, bathroom........and so on. Shouldn't my body be the best indicator of my thirst?

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Yes. There's water in everything you take in.
  • joyr1982
    joyr1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't care for water but tea is excellent for hydrating yourself.
  • drobb821
    drobb821 Posts: 9
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it, but drinking water is definitely good for you. That whole 8 cups a day thing is good for a few reasons. Number one, it'll help boost your metabolism a bit by aiding in the breakdown of the foods that you eat. It also helps to keep your body hydrated and functioning properly (i.e. blood flow). I actually drink about 10-12 cups a day. It makes you use the bathroom a bit more, but that obviously helps to get the waste out of your body. I don't think you should overdo it and jump immediately to what I do, but adding a cup here and there will probably help. Just one man's opinion.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    i have to say i was the same but as I started drinking more water, my body has adjusted and is now more thirsty lol

I have to drink water before bed, when i get up, after morning coffee, etc. I didn't before. Now, I feel better though and my skin is more hydrated ...i'm pretty happy with the H20 effect haha
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    When I get on the kick of being healthy (hope it lasts this time) I have to force myself. But then it's almost like the more I chug the more I want.
  • lynnmarie60
    lynnmarie60 Posts: 325
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way so I typically drink about 2-3 (8 ounce) cups a day and I'm fine.
  • attcute
    attcute Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is correct ,that your body will let you know when you are thirsty, however, you also need to get in the 8 glasses per day because water also purifies your body, for example, eliminating toxins. I used to have a hard time gettin my water in too, but I find it easier to drink water when i drink from a sport water bottle or through a straw...try it and see if it works for you. Hope this helps!
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i clicked on this because I'm not naturally thirsty. my mom and I would always split drinks growing up so I know she isn't either. but i have noticed that since kicking the level up on purpose, my allergies aren't as annoying and I get less headaches.

i think you make sense about listening to your body. and i think i have misinterpreted some of what my body was saying when it was saying 'i need water' in the past, hahah!

i agree with bouncinback4me, the more I drink the more I want!!
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water to PREVENT myself from getting thirsty. The way I see it is if I'm feeling thirsty, my body has been lacking water for a few hours. I'd rather give my body plenty of water and not make it tell me that it needs it. It's not like it's full of calories or anything... hahaha.
  • attcute
    attcute Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE WITH DROB821, AND I DIDNT SEE HIS POST UNTIL AFTER I POSTED MINE!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    tea can actually dehydrate you since it is a diaretic. so be careful with that. I was not much of a drinker either before MFP I was lucky to drink 3 cups of water a day. Now i drink up to 16 cups a day. I pee all the time but I am not near as bloated as I was and I feel better. I am not near as hungry and my skin and hair look better. I have more energy also. I actually crave my water now and love to drink it. Getting a big water jug that hold about 6 to 8 cups of water will help you to drink more. Mine has a sippy straw that i love since staws for some reason make me drink more.
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i have to say i was the same but as I started drinking more water, my body has adjusted and is now more thirsty lol

I have to drink water before bed, when i get up, after morning coffee, etc. I didn't before. Now, I feel better though and my skin is more hydrated ...i'm pretty happy with the H20 effect haha
    Exactly.
    I end up refilling my 32oz water bottle at least two (often three) times during the work day. I also usually drink another 32oz bottle in the car on my commute (40 miles each way) and probably one more 32oz bottle at home in the evening. I do not force myself - I just am thirsty a lot.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Unfortunately, there is evidence that your body sometimes gets confused and tells you that you are HUNGRY or LACKING ENERGY when you are dehydrated. (So we sometimes eat when we should be drinking.)

I didn't used to drink more than about 32 oz of water a day.

Last couple of weeks I've been drinking four times that much.

I've never felt better! A lot of my persistent aches and pains are gone - especially my headaches!

If I were you I'd try to increase my water intake - but do it gradually and see how it goes. :smile:
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My problem was that, because I didn't drink a lot of water, my body would instead demand more food. Instead of thirst, I'd feel hunger and eat.

And if you FEEL thirsty, you're already dehydrating...
  • lexlundin
    lexlundin Posts: 9
    Options
    A person 170lbs can drink 7-8 Liters of water a day. It's called water loading.
    The idea behind it is that you train your body into thinking that there is no shortage of water or drought.
    This will release any water retention and start a reaction to flush body fats as well. Fats are stored in a sea of water.
    Very good for your skin.
  • Nanconet
    Nanconet Posts: 35
    Options
    I read somewhere that when you are thirsty it means your body is already dehydrated. So you shouldn't let yourself feel thirsty. Not only is water a good for you, it helps you fill up too. I love to snack, especially when I'm at work. I keep drinking water and it fills me preventing me from all the un- necessary snacking I would do otherwise. I'm supposed to only be consuming 1200 calories a day. Really hard to do. Water is a big help.
  • callielizabethrocks
    callielizabethrocks Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One of my doctor friends let me know that it takes 3 molecules of water to break down 1 molecule of fat. I try to keep that in mind everytime I fill up my water bottle. But I have to say that everyone else is right, skin improves, headaches lessen, I don't get tired at 3:00PM, my allergies aren't very bad this year, and my pee is clearer than it has ever been.

I was a huge diet coke-aholic, but I quit that because I was nervouse about all of the chemicals and I was taking in WAY too much caffine. So now I keep a water bottle with me at all times and it is pretty easy to get your 8 glasses.

I think that increasing your intake will only benefit you so give it a try and see what you think.
  • jldemoss
    jldemoss Posts: 9
    Options
    If I drink the recommended amount of water daily I find myself craving it more & more.
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    oh yeah I do remember reading that by the time we 'feel thirsty' we have killed brain cells. hate saying that because I might be incorrectly saying it. so i thought i'd take a minute and google some things to see if i can find whatever it was i read. then i came across this interesting page http://songweaver.com/info/thirst.html
    then this! http://www.sfn.org/index.aspx?pagename=brainBriefings_thirst

i guess i'll stick to drinking water as often as i can, haha
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your great advice..........gotta go, gonna fill up my water bottle!!!