MediFast

Options
Has anyone ever tried medifast products? I was given some boxes of it for free from a friend and I read some bad reviews on it. Also anyone that has tried it do you really need to drink 5 a day? That seems like a lot. Feedback please :)

Replies

• roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    5 a day sounds about right. All you do is drink your food. No real food.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new friend, the one you have doesn't seem to like you very much.

Rigger
  • spink7
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new friend, the one you have doesn't seem to like you very much.

Rigger

She gave it to me because she breast cancer and can only eat certain things. No need to be rude and that is offense you saying that .

• spink7
    Options
    5 a day sounds about right. All you do is drink your food. No real food.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I hate all such diets. And the food tastes like crap. And almost everyone I know that did Medifast gained back the weight. It's really not sustainable.
  • maurenemm
    Options
    Medifast works great for some people. The main advantage I saw to the program is that you can lose weight very quickly. After you reach goal, then you learn how to eat healthfully. My DH lost around 50 lbs on it (but later gained some of that back). I was less successful. Maybe it was too strict for me. And I quickly got bored with the shakes/food.

Not all the medifast products are drinks (shakes). But most of the non-drink products are powdered stuff that you add water too and microwave -- like powdered eggs, soup, oatmeal, brownies. They have bars too. The basic plan is 5 medifast meals/snacks day plus one lean and green meal.

If you don't want to do Medifast full-out and you have some of the shakes, you could use them to replace a meal/snack during they day. They are designed to be low cal, low-carb, high protein and, I believe, enriched with vitamins/minerals.

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't like anything like medifast is because it doesn't teach how to eat properly. Unless you plan on using it for the rest of your life, it's not a great option, and it doesn't seem very realistic to me. The unfortunate problem is that you can use this and lose weight, but most likely when you stop using it, you will probably gain weight back.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's cancer.
  • jenna80302
    jenna80302 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried it at one point, and it was gross... Super processed and it tastes horrible. I think you are much better off eating whole fresh foods that are good for you and keeping track of your calories.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Your right. Meal replacements do not teach you how to eat properly. The support and health coaching Take Shape For Life is what teaches you that. I lost my weight with a health coach 3 years ago. I learned not only how to eat properly but also how to take care of my body. The support and curriculum were key in maintaining my health.