milk v's almond Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Some almond milk has calcium supplements, but there's hardly any protein. I alternate with 2% lactaid. It's great if I'm expecting a high calorie day because the one I use has 60cal/glass and the lactaid has 130cal/glass.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Almond milk doesn't have the protein that cows milk has. If you want a non dairy beverage with a closer profile to cows milk, soy is a better choice.

You can get your protein in other areas.. Almond milk has more calcium and Vitamin D compared to regular milk.

For me, I drink blue diamond unsweetened almond milk w/vanilla. 30 calories for 8 oz. I hate the taste of silk, too thick, too almondy. I drink almond milk due to being very lactose intolerent. I was always lacking in Vitamin D, then saw friends on here drinking the almond milk. Works for me. I am now getting more Vitamin D and a bonus of calcium. I eat plenty that gives me the protein. (diabetic so I eat low carb and high fat (meats = lots of protein)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow milk mostly because of the lactose. Not much protein in almond milk but it can be used as a liquid in smoothies.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Almond milk doesn't have the protein that cows milk has. If you want a non dairy beverage with a closer profile to cows milk, soy is a better choice.

You can get your protein in other areas.. Almond milk has more calcium and Vitamin D compared to regular milk.

For me, I drink blue diamond unsweetened almond milk w/vanilla. 30 calories for 8 oz. I hate the taste of silk, too thick, too almondy. I drink almond milk due to being very lactose intolerent. I was always lacking in Vitamin D, then saw friends on here drinking the almond milk. Works for me. I am now getting more Vitamin D and a bonus of calcium. I eat plenty that gives me the protein. (diabetic so I eat low carb and high fat (meats = lots of protein)

The person you quoted is vegan *I believe*
    She was giving an alternative explanation of the differences in the milk.

• NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I prefer almond milk too, although I only use it in coffee. My husband doesn't like the taste of soy or coconut. Almond definitely has more calcium and vit D and less chance of accidental weight gain
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant and also allergic to all nuts, including almonds! So I drink lactose free cows milk
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I love cashew milk!!! And it has calcium unlike almond milk.

The almond milk i drink has calcium in it.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer cow milk, but unsweetened almond milk has its merits. Personally, I love cereal, and it just doesn't taste right without my good ol' 2%.
  • inthslif
    inthslif Posts: 96 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm an almond milk fan because of the the lactose in cows milk........the health benefits in almond pushed me away from cow's milk...... I'm looking to try cashew milk.......love cashews on my pizza
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I prefer milk for the protein content, but since it is harder to get enough protein these days, I usually have yogurt instead.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like lactose (at least I have no reason not to) and I like the protein, so I prefer dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.), although I don't have milk of any sort much just because I don't tend to like to drink calories.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't typically drink milk, just use it in things. I like almond milk bc it's a little sweet (I don't get unsweetened) and is lower calories. I use it in my oatmeal. I like it better than when I make it with cows milk.
  • Yogafit28
    Yogafit28 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I prefer almond milk (unsweetened vanilla silk is very yummy and only 35 calories and barely any fat or sugar). Milk kinda grosses me out and makes me feel ill. Not a huge believer in milk, but you can get loads of calcium in almond milk. If you're worried about protein, a cup of peas for example has about the same amount of protein as milk and is much better for you IMO...theres a lot of added hormones and pus cells (or so it's rumoured) in most of the cows milk at the grocery store. At the very least if you drink milk try organic?