Juicing, is it a good idea?

Options
Hi,

What are your opinions on juicing to lose weight?

I tried juicing before but gave up on day 2 because I had such a bad migrane I couldn't function.

I have been considering giving it another go maybe a 3 day juicing plan to try kick start my weight loss.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You switched your diet to 100% liquid sugar and at the same time became unable to function. That isn't a coincidence. It will happen again.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    yeah I know headaches will most likely happen but should I try to perservere? is it good for you to do a short period of time juicing, what are the benefits?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    No need, just eat a deficit.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, why make losing weight difficult?

Eat at a reasonable calorie deficit
    Log your food accurately and honestly (a food scale can help with this)
    Don't go overly restrictive it makes it that much harder

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

• fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We just got a juicer and also bought the Joe Walsh book on juicing. He juiced for 60 days (I think 60, may have been 90). If you were planning this, I think you need to make sure the juice composition is balanced, so not just fruits, and I think there would need to be a need for some protein powder.

I know I could not do it, liquid calories never fill me up. But I love the fresh juice as a mid morning snack or with breakfast. I find it satisfies my sweet tooth but does not trigger the sugar craving cycle that is my arch enemy.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Options
    Ok great I will read these topics, thanks
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    No, no need it begin a juice fast. If you want to incorporate a fresh juice into your daily plan go ahead and do that.

Your diet doesn't need a 'kick start' and subsisting on juice for 3 days will do you no favors. Any weight lost will come back when you start eating food again.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Counterproductive.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Chewing helps with satiety. Fiber helps with satiety. Eliminating chewing and fiber helps with nothing. I don't even understand the theory behind juicing. People are hard to figure.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't need to "kick start" your metabolism. Secondly, why? All that's required for weight loss, is a caloric deficit.
  • kaylaaah88
    kaylaaah88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable. I would binge eat on day four with a diet like that. Especially with working out, I feel like you wouldn't have the energy or stamina with the lack of protein from just drinking juice. Not to mention how few calories. That can't be good. If you had headaches, I would listen to your body. It's probably telling you that juicing as your entire diet is a bad idea.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Options
    Decision made avoid juicing days. I eat quite healthy just think I need to increase my exercise. Thanks
  • harveyj_88
    harveyj_88 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it but it is a great diet, if you've got Netflix, what 'fat sick and nearly dead' very motivationaI
  • MustLoveCats21
    Options
    No.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! Your body was meant to eat real food.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think juice is nasty anyway. No way I would make a whole diet based on it.