Weight Gain and Anti-Depressants: Advice?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure we are not supposed to cross post.

Also, the medication itself does not cause the weight gain. It changes you appetite. If you give into the increased appetite, you gain weight. If you eat more calories than you burn, you gain weight. The medication does not magically add weight.
  • elainesplat
    Options
    Hello, I'm in the same situation. However, for the last 3 months I've been taking regular probiotics and prebiotics plus watching calories and the weight is slowly coming off. Lots of live yoghurt, kefir, probiotic capsules and prebiotic powder from the health shop. I've lost 10 lbs, my indigestion is a lot better and I don't feel tired all the time. Hope this helps! Elaine
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the point about the medication changing your appetite. To some extent, you'll need to relearn your hunger signals.

Drink a LOT of water. LOTS.

Set your calorie goals on here for a small deficit so that you're allowed a good amount of calories but will still be losing and then preplan your meals. If you feel that you'll be hungry often, set your diary up to allow for 3 meals with snack in between. You can log your day ahead of time.

Chew sugar-free gum between meals. Sometimes it helps calm false hunger.

• DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was on Prozac for awhile and never had any weight gain issues with that
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I was on Prozac for awhile and never had any weight gain issues with that

Different anti's in different classes are different. :)

• ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WALKING. Walking walking walking.

Firstly, don't change your medication without discussing it with your health professional.

I know from personal experience that depression makes it hard to get motivated and get out, but if you can force yourself to start walking, even if you hate it at first. Maybe some of your favourite music on headphones, your favourite radio station or a talking book.

Don't think "I've got to walk 5 miles, I'll never make it", just think, "I'm going to go for a walk, and when I've had enough I'll turn back, no big deal". If you stick at it you'll soon find that walking is enjoyable, it can be better at controlling depression than tablets, you'll feel happier, healthier AND you'll lose weight.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I added you to chat about this but it did a weird thing so not sure if you got it. If not please feel free to add me :)
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    ChrisManch wrote: »

Firstly, don't change your medication without discussing it with your health professional.

I know from personal experience that depression makes it hard to get motivated and get out, but if you can force yourself to start walking, even if you hate it at first. Maybe some of your favourite music on headphones, your favourite radio station or a talking book.

Don't think "I've got to walk 5 miles, I'll never make it", just think, "I'm going to go for a walk, and when I've had enough I'll turn back, no big deal". If you stick at it you'll soon find that walking is enjoyable, it can be better at controlling depression than tablets, you'll feel happier, healthier AND you'll lose weight.

Just as a side-note, some people are on anti-depressants for relief of chronic pain conditions. They are not necessarily prescribed just for depression.

• elphie754
    Options

Antidepressants can be prescribed for many different reasons, not just depression. Not all mental illness can be alleviated with exercise and suggesting that can be dangerous. I am prescribed antidepressants (and a mood stabilizer) for bipolar. No matter how much exercise I get in, I will not be going off them.
  • longandpink
    longandpink Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on anti depressants. I gained 3 stone due to over eating and comfort eating. Its not the meds. I am now trying to lose some weight by calorie counting and drinking loads of water.
  • AlliterationGR
    AlliterationGR Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 pounds in a short time period after starting Celexa. Someone mentioned re-learning your hunger signals. I've had some success working on this. And general counting calories has helped immensely. I know it's not the medication but it is a vicious cycle. I'm down nine pounds since counting and walking. I also changed my medication. You can add me if you want to vent / talk it out.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Some antidepressants and other meds for mood stabilization will cause insulin resistance (or make your body act as if it has diabetes). Like a lot of people have stated, drink lots of water, and try to look into a diabetic diet. This will lead you to lower carbs and higher proteins and fats. The insulin spikes and dips will lessen dramatically helping you to curb your hunger.

Focus on balanced eating (don't carb load or eat any carbs without fats and proteins mixed in there) and honest logging. The overall caloric goal shouldn't change, just your percentages of carbs, fats, and protein. Get a handle on the number of calories going in, and the scale should follow in the right direction.
  • Bebeharden
    Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for their helpful suggestions and advice. Thanks even to the ones who weren't so helpful :neutral_face: I realize that AD's do not by themselves cause weight gain, however, I have been on target with my calories and even lower for the past 2 weeks since starting this new one and my weight has gone up. Therefore, the idea that AD's don't cause weight gain by themselves hasn't been true in this instance. Anyways, I'm not here to debate, I just want to know what has worked for others in taking AD's and losing weight and so, for those of you who have offered some helpful advice, thank you! I am living abroad and so, my access to certain types of foods is limited, but the water, walking, honest logging and re-learning my hunger cues is something I can do.

One other question though: Have any of you found ways to alleviate Mental Health issues without AD's? I know one of you have stated that you'll always be on an Rx, which I understand, but I'm wondering if it's possible to live well without AD's? And if so, who habit changes did you make to get there? Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Bebeharden wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I've encountered some series weight since starting anti-depressants more than 10 years ago and most recently after changing medications (5 times in fact) over the past year, I've noticed about 40 lbs. of weight gain. This has made things worse, mental health wise, as well as physically. My most recent medication change has even caused a 5 lb weight gain in less than 2 weeks! I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ tips on how to successfully lose weight while taking anti-depressants or resources? I'm up for nearly anything. Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm posting this in a few different forums, so apologies if you're seeing this more than once :)
    Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

Friends who have been on antidepressants have had different reactions: one couldn't eat and got pretty thin, until she found a med that works fine for her. Others have gotten bigger appetites and ate over maintenance, which led to weight gain.

I'd suggest setting up your calorie goals in MFP, weighing your food and logging everything you eat, not eating all your exercise calorie back, and staying within a certain calorie goal, and then adjust accordingly. Eat more calorie dense foods so you are satiated. Of course, this comes from someone who has never taken antidepressants, but I hope it helps. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Antidepressants can be prescribed for many different reasons, not just depression. Not all mental illness can be alleviated with exercise and suggesting that can be dangerous. I am prescribed antidepressants (and a mood stabilizer) for bipolar. No matter how much exercise I get in, I will not be going off them.

I agree.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm on two different anti-d's. I started one when I started losing weight - so no gain. I started the other about a month ago and while I've noticed an increase in hunger, since I'm already watching my intake, I didn't gain any weight. I'm curious if your medication is causing an increase in hunger, causing you to eat more, or if it's something else. There's a chart out there somewhere that I'll try to find that lists the anti-d's least likely to cause weight gain. The one I remember off the top of my head is Wellbutrin.

I'm going to address this the nicest way I can.

I've struggled with depression all of my adult life. I'm very active, I'm in therapy and I make self care (sleep, nutrition, etc) a priority. I've been formally diagnosed with moderate to severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

Guess what? I'm still depressed. I probably always will be. It is a chemical imbalance in my brain that no amount of walking is going to "control" and I rather resent the implication that I'm simply not doing enough to "fix" it myself.

I'm happy (when I'm medicated). I'm healthy. And I've lost 70 pounds.
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have major depressive disorder and I take antidepressants as a part of my treatment plan. I take my pills at the same time every day and I try to eat at the same times every day and I try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Routine helps you manage your expectations and will improve your mood.

I also weigh myself first thing in the morning every day without clothes so I get a consistent measurement and I watch the trend of my weight, not just the day to day gain and loss. I use a movement tracker to get a better calorie goal and I try not to give myself a hard time about what I eat as long as I stay under my goal.

The other kind of obvious thing is to keep up with talk therapy and make sure you're talking to your psychiatrist about the effect your pills are having and see if adjustments are needed. Talking about your frustrations helps them help you manage your mood. I have a really good relationship with my pharmacist so I'm comfortable asking her questions about side effects and she can make recommendations that I can take back to my doctor.

If you want you can friend me. It's hard to find people who actually understand how mental illness works and I know I could use the support.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's a fair guess the recent weight gain is water/bloating from the new drug, not actual fat gain. My mom gained 10 pounds in 5 days on Depakote. She did not eat 7000 extra calories, five days in a row.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Bebeharden wrote: »
    Wow, thanks everyone for their helpful suggestions and advice. Thanks even to the ones who weren't so helpful :neutral_face: I realize that AD's do not by themselves cause weight gain, however, I have been on target with my calories and even lower for the past 2 weeks since starting this new one and my weight has gone up. Therefore, the idea that AD's don't cause weight gain by themselves hasn't been true in this instance. Anyways, I'm not here to debate, I just want to know what has worked for others in taking AD's and losing weight and so, for those of you who have offered some helpful advice, thank you! I am living abroad and so, my access to certain types of foods is limited, but the water, walking, honest logging and re-learning my hunger cues is something I can do.

One other question though: Have any of you found ways to alleviate Mental Health issues without AD's? I know one of you have stated that you'll always be on an Rx, which I understand, but I'm wondering if it's possible to live well without AD's? And if so, who habit changes did you make to get there? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Yes it is true. Medication can not magically make you gain weight. In order to gain weight you have to eat more calories than you burn. It could cause some water retention, but the more likely scenario is that you are eating more calories than you think.

As far as living without ADs that is something only you and your doctor can determine. Do not stop taking them without your doctors approval. Also- just because you feel better does not mean you should stop taking them.