What to wear running in the cold?

Options
I'm new to running. Of course I decided to start in the dead of winter. I live in the South in the US, so winters are pretty mild (I spent the last four years in upstate NY, so they seem VERY mild in comparison), but sometimes I have to run in the morning when it's around 20 degrees F and below. I can clothe myself around 30 degrees and up, but I don't know what to wear below that! My workouts feel hard and warm me up, but I still have a decent amount of walking in them, so I want to stay warm during those periods as well. What do you all suggest?

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Dress as if it's 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. You'll start off cold, but you'll get to a comfortable temperature after that.
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I like this site. http://dressmyrun.com/
    You can adjust for your comfort too.
  • ebtaylor137
    ebtaylor137 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    nikkohli wrote: »
    I like this site. http://dressmyrun.com/
    You can adjust for your comfort too.

Oh wow, thanks so much, this is great!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    a good rule is to use layers, then if you start getting hot you can take em off
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    layers once you get 3 miles in you'll start removing them
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Dressmyrun is good.

The basic principle of cold-weather exercise clothing is layering. Your base layer should be a lightweight wicking layer that moves sweat away from your skin. Wool, synthetic, or silk is good. The next layer should be insulating. If there's wind, you might also need a windproof layer on top. Zippers and vents help regulate temperature, as do hats, headbands, earmuffs, and gloves.

In my run yesterday morning (18°F with a wind chill factor around 8°F), I wore wind briefs (underwear with a windproof front panel), a lightweight wool zip turtleneck, Sporthill 3SP synthetic tights (which combine wicking with insulation), wool socks, a wool/synthetic softshell jacket (warmth and some wind resistance), a headband that covers my ears, and light gloves. By unzipping the jacket partway through the run, I could dissipate the heat.

For alternating between running and walking, I'd advise an extra layer, such as a jacket or zip hoodie, that you can zip up when walking and unzip when running. A hat that you can take off while running is also a good idea.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you are doing an out and back run, here is a tip; Run into the wind on the out so the wind is at your back on the return. You will be much colder if you are running into the wind after you are sweaty.

If I am warm when starting out, I know I will overheat after a couple miles. I always purposely want to start off being cold.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Dressmyrun is good.

The basic principle of cold-weather exercise clothing is layering. Your base layer should be a lightweight wicking layer that moves sweat away from your skin. Wool, synthetic, or silk is good. The next layer should be insulating. If there's wind, you might also need a windproof layer on top. Zippers and vents help regulate temperature, as do hats, headbands, earmuffs, and gloves.

In my run yesterday morning (18°F with a wind chill factor around 8°F), I wore wind briefs (underwear with a windproof front panel), a lightweight wool zip turtleneck, Sporthill 3SP synthetic tights (which combine wicking with insulation), wool socks, a wool/synthetic softshell jacket (warmth and some wind resistance), a headband that covers my ears, and light gloves. By unzipping the jacket partway through the run, I could dissipate the heat.

For alternating between running and walking, I'd advise an extra layer, such as a jacket or zip hoodie, that you can zip up when walking and unzip when running. A hat that you can take off while running is also a good idea.
    All of this - great advise here.

For me, a lot of it was trial and error, and making note of whether I was warm, cold or just right and what the temp and conditions were. I live in California where winters are pretty mild (especially the past couple of winters - hardly any rain! :disappointed: ) but we do still deal with temps around freezing, wind and fog. I do go for layers, and love the lightweight, merino wool shirts with the half zip - I can start out with it all the way up, and unzip to vent as I warm up, lightweight gloves can be tucked into my waistband, etc.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I always underdress (on purpose), so I am very cold in the beginning. My favorite trick is to do a quick warmup in the house before I go out. Not enough to sweat, but enough to "get the blood flowing" as they say. fitnessblender.com has some good 5 minute cardio warmups, or I really like the P90X3 warmup if you have access to those videos. Stuff like jumping jacks, jogging in place, dynamic stretching, etc.

I definitely prefer mittens to gloves. Another trick is to wear a short sleeve T-shirt (under my jacket), but with arm warmers that I can push down or pull up depending on wind, walking/running, etc.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not bothered by cold, but wind can be a killer. I recommend finding a good ear cover and gloves, and a windbreaker-type jacket. (Bonus: those usually have zip pockets so you can store your headband & gloves if they get too warm.) I've definitely had days where I have the urge to wear windbreaker shorts over my running pants too!