Safe pre-workout for depression?

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been looking for a pre-workout supplement that's safe for depression & anxiety. On almost all the products I've checked, the warning label says to consult a physician before using if you're taking anti-depressants or have psychiatric disorders, along with a multitude of other conditions. My next appt isn't for months & she's really hard to get a hold of; I've called once and haven't heard back yet. The anti-depressant I'm taking is NOT an SSRI. Has anyone had this same problem and if so, have you found a product that's safe?
Thanks!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you talking about a fat burner, or OTC 'diet pill'? Don't waste your money.

ETA... No one on here knows exactly what medications you are on, nor are they qualified to pass on the type of advice you are asking for.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Caffeine?
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

ETA... No one on here knows exactly what medications you are on, nor are they qualified to pass on the type of advice you are asking for.

I agree with both statements. It would probably be best to wait to talk with your doctor. I'm on antidepressants, and I know my doctor gets irritated if I add any supplements or anything that she hasn't okayed first due to possible issues with the combination.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take a pre-workout. Eat a quality meal with some carbs and protein a few hours before a workout.

Also, creatine can help relieve depression symptoms. Creatine is found in fish and beef, so it's natural and one of the most widely tested supplements out there.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Also, creatine can help relieve depression symptoms. Creatine is found in fish and beef, so it's natural and one of the most widely tested supplements out there.

Thank you for this. I didn't know that before. I'll keep it in mind when I'm doing my meal planning.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Probably neither, they make pre-workout stimulants to give you an burst or uptick of energy for your workout. I used to use them, but coffee is just as good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You have a doctor who won't call you back?

Have you not advised them that they are a service provider in a competitive market, and that you are a customer looking for the most effective treatment provider possible?

As for depression? Eh. Generally your best pre-workout is going to be a caffeine tab. Can depressives intake caffeine? Creatine is also a quality nootropic that has performance benefits. It's not something to PWO though.
  • Eastsidelov3
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Probably neither, they make pre-workout stimulants to give you an burst or uptick of energy for your workout. I used to use them, but coffee is just as good.

RGv2 thank you, I did mean specifically pwo...I've seen the same warnings label on my fat burner but I've take half the recommended lowest dose and cycle 30 days on 30-60 off. I'm doing coffee right now. Literally the only reason I posted was because I stopped drinking coffee for a long time and I didn't want to train myself to like black coffee again and was just looking for something easier.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You don't need to take a pre-workout. Eat a quality meal with some carbs and protein a few hours before a workout.

I had no idea about the creatine either, thank you!

For the nasty comments...I'm sure you're trying to tear people down in a message board because your real life is miserable, so I'm gonna go ahead and keep bettering myself now. Have a good day... you probably need it more than I do.
  • ColossusCain
    ColossusCain Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you look at any supplement bottle on earth they all say 'Consult a physician first' this is their catch all to keep from getting sued if the added stimulants make your hear explode. Find something that lists all the ingredients and doses (no proprietary blends) and email it to you doctor to look over. That would be the quickest route
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you look at any supplement bottle on earth they all say 'Consult a physician first' this is their catch all to keep from getting sued if the added stimulants make your hear explode. Find something that lists all the ingredients and doses (no proprietary blends) and email it to you doctor to look over. That would be the quickest route
    Supplements aren't regulated by FDA, so just because something is listed doesn't mean it may not be contaminated with any other ingredients.
    The reality is most people don't NEED a preworkout. They are usually a stimulant of some sort and many use them thinking they are getting "energized". Attitude and consistency set the stage correctly for most people who workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Caffeine would be horrible for anxiety symptoms. I'm not too sure about depression, but it can't be great either. A good amount of sleep every night on a consistent basis helps for both, but definitely isn't a cure. However, prior to taking any OTC supplements, you should research if there is any interaction with what you are taking with the supplement that you are considering. Even natural herbs and plants can interfere with the way you metabolize and excrete medicines. They may even interact with each other without you realizing it. The safest bet is to not take any supplements until you can consult the research or your doctor. They have books on interactions that you may or may not be able to find for your research into this.

Good luck!
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Please be careful with caffeine since you have anxiety. Too much caffeine sends my anxiety over the edge. I would contact your doctor before you take any OTC supplement, its just a wise thing to do. If your doctor isn't returning your call, you need to hire a new one.
  • crownjewel82
    crownjewel82 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pharmacists are actually better at this kind of thing. Doctors only know enough to know what to prescribe.
  • NurseCU
    Options
    Pharmacists are actually better at this kind of thing. Doctors only know enough to know what to prescribe.

Disagree to an extent. Yes, pharmacists would be able to help you tremendously with many prescription and OTC medications. BUT, the OP's doctor knows the health history and entire picture of the OP, pharmacists aren't able to put that entire picture together when giving advice about a particular medication. And, doctors know more about meds than just knowing what to prescribe.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Liquid Vitamin B supplement should be safe and boost your energy.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Still, if her doctor won't call her back and she can't get ahold of them, then asking a pharmacist would be a good idea. At least to figure out if it would have any known contraindications with her current medications.
  • NurseCU
    Options
    NinjaJinja wrote: »
    Still, if her doctor won't call her back and she can't get ahold of them, then asking a pharmacist would be a good idea. At least to figure out if it would have any known contraindications with her current medications.

Agree, I never said asking a pharmacist would be a bad idea.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Fat. That will help your workout (from a longevity standpoint) and might even improve or dissolve your depression symptoms. Eat some bacon, peanut butter, or my personal favorite(aside from bacon...and peanut butter)...an avocado! But It needs time to digest, so dont have all that just before a workout. If you can do that, you wont need a supplement for working out.

I enjoy my coffee, but not just before my workout. It dehydrates the body, heats up the body, and tends to run through me too fast. :-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Fat. That will help your workout (from a longevity standpoint) and might even improve or dissolve your depression symptoms. Eat some bacon, peanut butter, or my personal favorite(aside from bacon...and peanut butter)...an avocado! But It needs time to digest, so dont have all that just before a workout. If you can do that, you wont need a supplement for working out.

I enjoy my coffee, but not just before my workout. It dehydrates the body, heats up the body, and tends to run through me too fast. :-)

There's not nearly enough caffeine in a cup of coffee to deplete your body of the liquid that drinking coffee adds.

Fat is a terrible energy source for a workout (and can impact blood flow as well as growth hormone levels) and I'm guessing based on your comment you are a keto dieter. She'd do better eating carbs with some protein. Complex carbs a couple of hours before and simple carbs about half an hour to an hour before. Carbohydrates are an effective and efficient source of energy for the body.