Aches and pains running

Options
I'm having problems with my left hip, left knee and left calf when I run sometimes. My calf feels like it has a tear in the muscle. I go to a chiropractor to get adjusted about once a week because my back and hips get out of wack. Just wondering if anyone ever has similar problems and know any long term solutions. Stopping is not a solution.

Replies

• olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    We are not in our twenty's anymore. Yes I feel pain when I run. Sounds like you have a bad hip flexor or not stretching it before you run. If you feel a tear in the legs rest it for a week. Muscle is growing. Eat more protein to recover quicker. The knees are due to maybe extra weight? or try a tread mill. Picking a different machine( Elliptical ) may be a better solution with the same benefits. My brother is doing a yoga class with great results for these same issues. Its all in the mind!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hip and knee...strengthen those hip muscles and increase flexibility. Myrtl exercises are a good place to start.

If you genuinely have a calf tear, how the eff can you even *walk*? That's a little above my current injury (calf strain), and I am on NO running, NO walking, basically me killing myself/wanting to die on the stationary bike every day because that is all I can do. Especially if I want to run again.

Sometimes stopping temporarily is necessary to prevent being forced to stop permanently.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an existing issue, running shouldn't cause pain. If it is, stop running (yes, it is an option) and figure out what the problem is. Continuing to run in pain will very well lead to not being able to run for a very long time.

My sister dealt with a torn calf muscle this past Fall. She could walk but it was really painful and she had to give up running for awhile.
  • TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I started running on the road only one of my hips would hurt horribly. It did get better eventually. Maybe jog and walk to start? Feel better soon!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Go to a real doctor not a chiro.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    A chiropractor can only help in the alignment of your spine and help with the aches and pains that are associated with you being unaligned. If you're having pain in the muscles (especially your legs or arms) there's not much the chiropractor can do but put you on a TENs unit or an inferential machine for temporary pain relief. I wouldn't necessarily stop going to your chiropractor, but if you're not seeing long term relief in your muscles after seeing him then the pain is most likely not associated with the alignment of your spine and you might want to consider seeing another doctor just to see what's wrong.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? If you've only just started you could be trying to run too fast or too much too soon. You should in reality be able to hold a conversation while running so even if that seems slow run at that pace. Pace comes in time when your endurance increases and your body has got used to the stresses and strains of running. Also shoes have you got good well fitted appropriate running specific shoes
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I started back running about 1 year ago after a 2 year break. I had became fat and lazy and got up to 285lbs and now dropped back down to 245lbs. I'm 6'4. I want to get back down to about 230lbs. I lift about 2-3 days a week and try to do cardio about 5 days a week. I mix up my cardio. Some days I run 1-3 miles straight according to how I feel, some days I do intervals, running 3 minutes and walking 1 for 8-10 repetitions, and some days I walk 2-5 miles with a 60lb vest and some days I only walk.

I think the biggest part of my problem I think is my hips and lower back getting out of alignment. I think I tend to favor one side when they do and it puts extra stress on my hip, knee and calf. It's always the left side that gives me trouble. As for my calf, it's probably a strain but feels like a tear after running occassionally and I have to walk only for a week or two. Sometimes after cardio, when I cool down it's hard to walk with that calf. It tends to heal after time though it seems.

About 10 years ago, I was shoved into a counter top by and inmate and I had a walkie talkie radio on my left hip. I did the appropriate paperwork on it but it's been 10 years and I'm with a different agency now. I've been to about 5 different chiropractors in the last 10 years. I finally found one that seems to help. I just feel like the chiropractor is a temporary fix. I don't know. After some of your responses, I got on youtube and found some pretty interesting stuff. I am going to research it more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When my knees started giving me trouble I went to a physiotherapist. It turns out my hips are stiff and my core is weak. Without the upper support, the knees were taking the whole load. I am doing the prescribed stretches to prevent further injury to my knees.

My physiotherapist has drilled in to me the importance of not "pushing through" pain. It can take months and years to recover from that.