Weight loss in your 30's

Options
just wondering if anyone else notices how much harder it is to lose weight in your 30's vs in your 20's?
I remember when I was in my 20's and I decided I was going to lose weight I could just drop it like nothing. Now it seems to be sooooo much more work and I have to be sooooo careful with my diet and can't afford a single slip up

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If you think it is hard in the 30s, wait until the 50s! LOL
    I do think it is harder to lose and maintain weight loss the older we get.....unless we truly modify the amount we eat.
    I lost weight much more easily in my 40s than now trying to "re-lose" it in my 50s.
  • Jankatherton
    Jankatherton Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    30's? Yup, I remember when I was a kid :smiley: Metabolism drops as you get older, and most people have lower muscle mass than when they were in their 20's (which can be rectified by weightlifting). It's doable, 'tho -- I lost 60 pounds when I was 53. Hang in there.
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it's that we are more set in our ways and less motivated to change as we age.

I think if we are honest with ourselves and really put the effort in, we can achieve anything.

It's only hard because we are telling ourselves it's hard.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is harder now than it was then. I used to be able to continue eating what I wanted as long as I exercised and the pounds would just fall off. Now I have to focus MORE on my diet. Not just calories either. I have to be eating more protein and less carbs (like under 50%) in order to lose anything. It is very frustrating.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I never tired in my 20's. Didn't need to. I didn't even notice my weight going up until 32.

Seriously, I don't find it THAT hard even now. Maybe I'm strange.
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    I think it's that we are more set in our ways and less motivated to change as we age.

I think if we are honest with ourselves and really put the effort in, we can achieve anything.

Hmmm you could very well be right here
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    It's those darn last 15 pounds !!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    just wondering if anyone else notices how much harder it is to lose weight in your 30's vs in your 20's?
    I remember when I was in my 20's and I decided I was going to lose weight I could just drop it like nothing. Now it seems to be sooooo much more work and I have to be sooooo careful with my diet and can't afford a single slip up

it's not, you just think it is.

i'm 40 and weigh the same as i did when i was 18, or actually, maybe a little less. it was easy. lost a bunch of weight in my late 30's. when i decided to start tracking on mfp, the weight flew off.

i have no opinion on 50, but for 30's up to early 40's, people just need to quit making excuses.
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    mxmkenney wrote: »
    Yes, it is harder now than it was then. I used to be able to continue eating what I wanted as long as I exercised and the pounds would just fall off. Now I have to focus MORE on my diet. Not just calories either. I have to be eating more protein and less carbs (like under 50%) in order to lose anything. It is very frustrating.

This sounds like me. In my 20's id just exercise a couple times a week and eat pizza like every day and still lose weight ahah

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    There is some effect from loss of muscle mass, but it's pretty slight--something like 50 calories a day per decade. You can offset some of this loss by lifting heavy. :)

There is also a change in lifestyle--people tend to get more sedentary as they get older. Some of it is job related--junior office workers might be running more errands, walking from cube farm to cube farm, or you might be paying your dues in retail before settling into insurance claims handling or something. Some of it could also be social life related--no more evenings out dancing. You moved from your city apartment where you walked to the laundromat, to the suburbs where you take four steps into your laundry room. (THIS IS AN UNQUALIFIED GOOD THING BTW.) The little things that add up. You can offset this by forcing yourself to make up for the activity--walking on your lunch break, commuting by bike, etc, in addition to whatever normal exercise or chasing small children and furry animals and other random movement you're used to.

My fiance and I are both trying to lose a little weight right now. I evaluated my eating patterns, changed some things, started tracking calories, and I'm basically at my goal after a few months. He's complaining about how his "metabolism" is slow now that he's 30 and how everyone in his office experienced the same phenomenon, and has only lost like two pounds. Hm...
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

i'm 40 and weigh the same as i did when i was 18, or actually, maybe a little less. it was easy. lost a bunch of weight in my late 30's. when i decided to start tracking on mfp, the weight flew off.

i have no opinion on 50, but for 30's up to early 40's, people just need to quit making excuses.

Not making up excuses. I'm grinding away at the gym 6 days a week and seeing no results. I haven't missed a day in over a year and a half but haven't lost a pound. I'm just comparing that directly to how I was in my 20's and I'd casually go to the gym once or twice a week and lose weight while eating whatever I wanted. Just saying there is a obvious difference at least for me.
    I know I need to clean up my diet some more and I'm not making excuses for that. Just saying it wasn't necessary in my 20's
  • congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, everyone is different, but the motivate and time to put in the work necessary to lose/manage weight differs as you age. Personally, I think it gets easier.

Going from 20 to 30 maybe harder if you start involve raising children and other adult responsibilities. Not to assume what anyone's lifestyle is like for some, the 20's could be just going out with friends and living the social life to the fullest.

For myself, I spent my entire 30's obese but at 40 my mentality changed towards life. A lot of factors contribute to the change, but to be brief, as I got order and sorted out life schedules, I found time to put in the work. Also as you live life (age) you start seeing more friends and family die due to various conditions, so you begin to think and rethink how you want to live the rest of your existence.
  • Jankatherton
    Options
    There is some effect from loss of muscle mass, but it's pretty slight--something like 50 calories a day per decade. You can offset some of this loss by lifting heavy. :)

There is also a change in lifestyle--people tend to get more sedentary as they get older. Some of it is job related--junior office workers might be running more errands, walking from cube farm to cube farm, or you might be paying your dues in retail before settling into insurance claims handling or something. Some of it could also be social life related--no more evenings out dancing. You moved from your city apartment where you walked to the laundromat, to the suburbs where you take four steps into your laundry room. (THIS IS AN UNQUALIFIED GOOD THING BTW.) The little things that add up. You can offset this by forcing yourself to make up for the activity--walking on your lunch break, commuting by bike, etc, in addition to whatever normal exercise or chasing small children and furry animals and other random movement you're used to.

My fiance and I are both trying to lose a little weight right now. I evaluated my eating patterns, changed some things, started tracking calories, and I'm basically at my goal after a few months. He's complaining about how his "metabolism" is slow now that he's 30 and how everyone in his office experienced the same phenomenon, and has only lost like two pounds. Hm...

Hmm yeah you could be right about the change in lifestyle. I am a nurse so still on my feet a lot but I think in my 20's I was even more so. I used to walk everywhere as I didn't have a car.

• randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it easier to lose in my 30s, but I attribute some of that success to having better tools and knowledge than I did in my 20s.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It has been super hard for me now that I am in my 40s . In my 30s it was very easy because my kids were younger and I would run around with them. Now that I am an empty nester I find myself snacking because of boredom.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

I can't really compare because when I wanted to lose weight in my 20s, I would go on insane diets. So yeah, I would easily shift ten pounds on 600 calories a day. Now I lose more slowly and steadily, but I also have the maturity needed to stick with a reasonable plan.

Science says my metabolism has slowed down, but I still don't think I would have been able to lose this much weight in my 20s (if I had needed to). I was just too young and dumb.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

Not making up excuses. I'm grinding away at the gym 6 days a week and seeing no results. I haven't missed a day in over a year and a half but haven't lost a pound. I'm just comparing that directly to how I was in my 20's and I'd casually go to the gym once or twice a week and lose weight while eating whatever I wanted. Just saying there is a obvious difference at least for me.
    I know I need to clean up my diet some more and I'm not making excuses for that. Just saying it wasn't necessary in my 20's

are you sure you weren't eating less than you think you were in your 20's? as someone else said, the metabolism difference is only like 50 calories a decade. that is not a lot.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »

And we become less active as we get invested in jobs and/or kids. So it makes it seem like it's harder when it's not. Our lifestyle has changed while the change in our physiology has only minimally changed.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Hmm yeah you could be right about the change in lifestyle. I am a nurse so still on my feet a lot but I think in my 20's I was even more so. I used to walk everywhere as I didn't have a car.

yeah, this would explain it more than 30's being that much different based on bmr alone.