Fun with water retention (for ladies)

Options
anyway... I misplaced my pill and forgot to take it for 3 days, all the while I was wondering why I was gaining weight. Then I took the pill again without looking at the calendar on the strip and wondered why I was suddenly losing weight again. And the next evening I looked on the pack properly, saw what I was doing and took a break, and gained weight again. Oh, don't worry, I usually take three strips without a break. No problem. Just funny how my weight fluctuates with the pill, or rather with not taking it.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hormones do alot to the body
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You'll find progestin in prescription diuretics, as well. The more there is in your type of pill, the less water you'll retain.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the progestin. No idea what's in mine. I only posted this for those of us that do feel a bit of a bloat at certain times in the month. And because I was surprised that there was in fact a reason for the strange weight gain above the normal fluctuation :wink:
  • adora85
    adora85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have SO much water weight fluctuation during the month. I am also on the pill too. I have the one where I skip my period. For whatever reason, I retain water until I actually menstruate then lose a bunch of pounds. It frustrating
  • shaleeny88
    Options
    Most contraception pills makes women gain weight. I changed my contraception because of that and lost quiet a lot of weight, my flat belly also came back :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't even need the help of the added hormones to have water retention, as mine do it anyway.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I don't think I keep a lot of water in general. And certainly not at the moment as I am living in a desert climate and will get dehydrated very quickly if I don't pay attention now that temperatures are rising again. But generally I have a very regular bloat pattern: second lowest on second weekend day, lowest on the first working day of the week, and then slowly picking up again until first weekend day :D Maybe the food in the canteen is too salty as I also see a small decrease on public holidays.

Well.. and when I stop with the pill I will gain a bit more water over 1-2 days and retain it until I take the pill again. Could be worse I think.