Frustrated

Options
I change my life about a year and a half ago. I was almost 400 pounds and had developed arthritis in my lower back. I am now 283, well that's been my lowest weight so far. For the last 5 weeks the scale has gone between 288 and 283. I am very frustrated at this point. I've seen a nutritional counselor and I'm doing everything she said to do. I eat between 1500 and 1800 calories a day, all healthy food. I drink about a gallon of water everyday. The only thing I've done different is I started walking between 1 and 2 miles 3 to 5 times a week. People tell me you're turning fat into muscle. If that were true wouldn't my clothes be getting bigger me? they're not getting big on me and I am very frustrated. Please help me.

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Patience grasshopper.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Retaining water from doing new exercise is my first thought.
  • kerstinelizabeth
    Options
    You could try shaking it up with your meals. For instance, instead of your usual dinner, try protein shakes for dinner for a while. This kind of mix up has worked for me in the past to kickstart things again. Or add in some jogging intervals along with your walks. Good luck, it will happen just keep going!!!
  • BrandNewMan1970
    BrandNewMan1970 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Ever juice for a while? I have been tempted to do 30 days of that.
    Good luck you are doing all the right things. Find help in that fact.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Patience grasshopper.
    This. Keep your eye on the "where do I want to be in a year" and remember how far you've come! What you have accomplished is incredible. You've done your body so much good!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ever juice for a while? I have been tempted to do 30 days of that.
    Good luck you are doing all the right things. Find help in that fact.

No
  • allison1983weber
    allison1983weber Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINING is all I can say :) Weights = muscle, muscle = higher resting metabollic rate. You got this...just keep going!!!!
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINING is all I can say :) Weights = muscle, muscle = higher resting metabollic rate. You got this...just keep going!!!!

Yep! Might be time to up the game a bit! I'm told there are great chair workouts you can do when you don't want to put too much stress on your joints.

Also, you might not be losing, but your body might be working on something, like healing tissues that have been damaged by the excess weight. Give it time. As soon as your body is ready, you'll start losing again!

• stelless
    Options
    Try Green tea make miracles for me increase u metabolism at least my fitness trainer told me that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    stelless wrote: »
    Try Green tea make miracles for me increase u metabolism at least my fitness trainer told me that

No
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My weight increased about 3-4 weeks ago and then just stayed the same until a,few days ago. If your weighing and logging all food then it's just water. Increase your exercise a little and see if that helps.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You've lost so much already (good job!), so you know that it doesn't happen overnight. It's normal for your weight to fluctuate. Don't be discouraged! It's a lifestyle change, right? So you can expect some ups and downs. We all have them :)
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You are pretty awesome for losing what you have. You are also using a counsillor so you know what to do. I know this isn't what you want to hear - but you are amazing! You will get there! Keep doing your thing!
  • ahealthiercara
    ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started at about 265, I'm about 215 now. I struggled with those kinds of plateaus a lot. Its really hard to trust the process when the scale isn't showing you love but know that by eating better and exercising more, you're improving your health, not just lowering your weight. The weight will come off in time if you keep at it.