NSV--- it may seem small, bit it's HUGE for me!

Options
cmbneeley
cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
I have asthma and I HATE running. I've never understood people that enjoy it. After my zumba class, I normally walk home from the gym. But yesterday... I had this strange urge to just start running...

so I did. I ran all the way home from the gym (about 1/2 - 3/4ths of a mile or so). I only stopped once ot cross the street. And strangely, it felt good. I got home all winded but felt amazing! For many this might seem kinda ridiculous, but it was a really big deal for me.

Replies

• dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    that doesn't seem crazy at all. that is amazing! keep it up!
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. :) I hate running too, and started Couch to 5K... the first time I could run for longer than 90 seconds without dying, I was so excited. So, good job!
  • skinnyjeans13
    skinnyjeans13 Posts: 179
    Options
    Congrats!! That is awesome and a great accomplishment!
  • 512cheangela
    512cheangela Posts: 133
    Options
    That is how I got hooked too. My asthma is now borderline non-existent. Good job!
  • scshackleford
    Options
    Everytime we do something we didn't think we could it's an amazing feeling! Last year (before I got sick) on a whim I decided to take a yoga class. I thought that it would be terrible since I have bad knees (from surgery). I really didn't think I'd be able to do much. Instead I loved it!

I'm reasonabley healthy now. I think your post might be inspiring me to go back!
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Good job i just wish i could still run that far.
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! not crazy at all and huge NSV. Good job.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    that doesn't seem crazy at all. that is amazing! keep it up!

I agree! That is a very significant NSV! Well done! :smile:
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    that awesome! It is a huge victory to do anything you didn't know you could do. Pat yourself on the back! :)
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I can't wait til I get there. I want to run, but my joints say lose more weight first fat *kitten*!
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It is not a small NSV at all! I have had Asthma all of my life. My doctors always advised my parents not to let me run or do anything strenuous that might trigger an attack. It wasn't until I was 10 or 11 I started barely participating in sports. I feel like I missed out on part of my childhood by not playing soccer or participating in PE.

That said- I like to run now. I suck at it but I like it. I only run indoors right now but I hope to get outdoors soon. I am actually thinking about doing a C25K. Not quite sure how to break that to my mom yet... :)
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That is awesome.

I too hate to run, but one day I was out for a walk, and just really wanted to. I didn't go that long, but I felt really really good.

It is moments like these that tell us our bodies are feeling better and getting stronger, so go you!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    For many this might seem kinda ridiculous, but it was a really big deal for me.
    WELL DONE! Not ridiculous in the least. Be proud of yourself!

Running does provide a rush that (for me, at least) other cardio does not.

As someone already mentioned, the Couch to 5K program is a fantastic way to get running, even for folks (like me) that never thought that they could do it -- let alone enjoy it. You can do it at your own pace, it's FREE, and it's exciting to see yourself become (drumroll) a RUNNER!
  • TheKatzMeow77
    Options
    OMG that is not small at all!!! that fricken rocks. I also have Asthma and when i first started running I was so proud of myself. never ever thought i could do it. I ran my first 5K on 5/1/2011 and i am hopefully gonna work my way up to a 10K in September!! Definitely not a small NSV for you that is Huge. Keep rockin it, you got this.
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    That is exactly how I started running....i've only been doing it a couple of weeks and i can't go far without having to stop but I absolutely love it...keep it up!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I love to run as well, keep it up you will be amazed at the toneing effect running has:happy:
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Runners High. Be careful. It's really really addictive. Consider yourself duly warned. :)

Congratulations!!!!
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    Way to go! It all starts with those small steps of running a little and then you never know, you might just keep on running! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!