255lbs lost...but can't lose anymore

Options
Hi All

I’m hoping some of you successful people can offer me any guidance.

In March 2011, I weighed 482 lbs. I undertook a diet and exercise progamme, principally focusing on diet and building up the exercise (both cardio and weights) along the way.

By February 2013, I had lost 255 lbs, which brought me down to c.227 lbs.

Despite still eating at a calorie deceit and exercising, I literally have not and cannot lose another pound! Nothing in two years.

I am fastidious about calorie counting and there is no calorie creep. I have tried calorie-cycling to shake things up but nothing works. I appear to have this base weight that I cannot get below. Clearly at c.225 lbs, I am still obese. I am 5ft 8 in (female) for information.

After losing all that weight, I obviously have some loose skin that accounts for some of the pounds but my biggest issue is still have a big tummy with solid fat, i.e it’s not loose skin.

If it wasn’t for this solid fat, I could probably accept that this is as far as I can go.

I would love to know if any larger weightlossers have any similar experience. Can people who have very large amounts of weight to lose only get soo far?

It’s very frustrating to have come this far but not be able to finish the job.

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    First of all, WOW. Congratulations. I hope that this frustration you're feeling doesn't overshadow the incredible success you've achieved so far. Do NOT forget how far you've come. At the same time, remember that this is a life journey--I can understand how frustrating it must be to have stalled for the length of time you're talking about.

Yes, I'm sure a significant part of your weight is likely to be loose skin. That's a situation I don't know that much about, but there are success stories on this board that show how some people have dealt with it. Try a search to see if you can find others that can give you some advice.

Probably it'd be a good time to see a reputable doctor who knows something about people in your situation. Make sure your health markers (BP, heart, blood test) are in normal range and there's no underlying issue that may be influencing your stall.

I suggest that maybe you can step back and conduct a re-set of your situation, activity level, food, lifestyle, and overall health. Even trying to maintain at your current weight for a few months is a good exercise in learning "maintenance" habits. Evaluate your food choices--are you getting enough protein? Could you shake up your diet a bit, i.e. if you normally eat a higher carb to protein ratio, maybe switch it around, just to shake things up (or vice-versa). Are your foods predominantly unprocessed or not? What exercises do you do, and can you switch that around?

Use this situation as an opportunity to learn more about your body instead of focusing on the stagnation of your weightloss, which will only continue to bring you down. Don't forget where you've come from. Try new things, and experiment with new foods, new movements/activities, and see what floats your boat. Good luck to you, you've come so far and many on MFP are rooting for you!

• nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Some things to consider in increasing order of "extremism"

1) Dropping your calorie intake to 1200 a day and stop eating after dinner for six months
    2) Going low-carb (20 grams max per day) for six months
    3) Becoming a bona fide weightlifter
    4) Weight loss surgery

Normally I advise against weight loss surgery because too many people don't "pay their dues" by learning to eat within a calorie budget for one year before having the procedure. But you seem to have learned that lesson.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You don't have an open diary so don't know what you are eating. What is your calorie goal now? What type of exercising are you doing and how often?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    nehushtan wrote: »
    Some things to consider in increasing order of "extremism"

1) Dropping your calorie intake to 1200 a day and stop eating after dinner for six months
    2) Going low-carb (20 grams max per day) for six months
    3) Becoming a bona fide weightlifter
    4) Weight loss surgery

Normally I advise against weight loss surgery because too many people don't "pay their dues" by learning to eat within a calorie budget for one year before having the procedure. But you seem to have learned that lesson.

#1, No don't do this, meal timing will have no impact, it is total caloric intake that does
    #2, This will lead to water loss, fat and real weight loss comes from a caloric deficit, not cutting carbs
    #3, I agree with this, as lifting will help ensure that a larger % of any loss you do have comes from fat, not fat and muscle
    #4, that should be a last resort only

OP: congrats on your progress thus far!

You said you track calories well, do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids? If not you may be consuming 10-50% more than you think.
    How are you tracking exercise calories? You may be over estimating these

Have you considered a diet break? slowly increase cals to maintenance and stay there for 3-4 weeks, then cut calories again.
  • AsianDanDQ
    Options
    Your body isn't burning as much energy now as when you were 225 lbs heavier, assuming you've been eating the same amount of calories all these years. Do consider eating less or exercising more, or both. I'm not sure how much you're consuming daily, so don't drop your calorie intake if you're already eating an appropriate amount. IMO, 1200 a day is way too low; you need at least 1500.
  • ChrissiesWorld
    Options
    I do not have any advise...I just wanted to say "Wow!" and congrats on all your hard work.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Losing 225 lbs is GREAT success. You may wish to consult a dietician for the safest ways to lose the rest. If you have a lot of extra skin, you also may want to think about it being surgically removed (if you can afford it; insurance will sometimes cover skin removal if it's considered medically necessary). Strength-training is always a good idea :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Huge congratulations to you for your accomplishment! I'm sure you are super frustrated since you've made such a major change and want just a reasonable amount more. Obviously I have no advice since I haven't lost nearly as much as you, but I do have a question if you don't mind.

It looks like you created your MFP account with a goal of losing 110 pounds, and have lost 30 pounds since being a member. So, have you been losing really, really slowly in order to lose the 30 pounds, or what exactly? Or was the ticker created when you weighed 255 and been stuck for 2 years?

Also, I want to add, if you have maintained a 200 pound plus loss within a couple pounds for 2 years that is really huge, you know! You clearly have maintenance down pat.

I hope someone can give you some ideas that help you lose again so you can reach a weight where you are satisfied.

FWIW, I've thought about the set-point theory that you are wondering about, mostly when I hit a weight and seem to have a real struggle getting below that weight. But each time I prove myself wrong when I get careless with my eating and GAIN some weight! LOL. Then I buckle down and get below the last point where I'm just sure I was "meant" to be. It's pretty hard work losing weight month after month after month after month, isn't it? You really need to be very, very proud of yourself!

55835802.png
  • Caseyjones78gbt
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Sodakat - I don't recall ever filling in the ticker or setting goals. The stats are as per my first post. I lost the weight steadily over 2 years and have now maintained for 2 years whilst trying to lose.

I possibly didn't lose the weight in the most healthy way. I ate 800 calories for the first year and then between 1,200-1,400 in the second year.

Excercise wise, when I started I just walked, building up to 5 miles a day. After the first 100lbs or so, I joined the gym and did cardio for c. 70 minutes and a little bit of weights 5 days a week. I then did a few sessions with a personal trainer focusing on weights and then did a course where I just did weights 5 days a week and accompanied this with a low-carb diet.

Ultimately, nothing has worked in terms of further reducing the weight.

I still do low-carb and currently eat between 1,200-1,400 calories a day. I did drop to 800 calories and even 500 calories for short period to see if I could get below the 225 but I absolutely can't.

I know there is no calorie creep because I eat the same thing every day 95% of the time. Not good I know but I like the things I eat and they fit within my calories and they are all weighed and measured.

Admission time- I've gotten lazy with the exercise but was soo frustrated because when I was exercising 5 days a week, I wasn't losing a pound so from a weight loss perspective, I felt there was no point. I know the obvious health benefits but have just been so focused on the weight loss that I gave up. In my head, weight loss is 95% diet and I have maintained for the last 18 months or so without much exercise.

I have just recently started exercising again for the last couple of months but still absolutely no movement.

It's just completely perplexing to me that I clearly have a at least 30lbs of fat to lose (setting aside the skin issue) and I cannot drop a pound even when I have purposely dropped my calories very low as a 'test'.

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Certainly odd that your ticker is so far off then. You may want to contact the MFP support staff and get it removed, or I suppose you can do it yourself in your profile settings.

I'm curious. How many calories a day can you eat without gaining? Have you ever tested that -- as opposed to how few to lose?

55835802.png
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My suggestion may be completely unfounded and insane, but I would go eat a big greasy burger and large fries and then continue with the deficit as you have been doing. That is what I do when I plateau and it seems to get everything moving again. I don't know why, but it just works for me.
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Try eating more calories, more like 1600. And eat healthy calories, 80% clean and see where that gets you. You just may not be eating enough.

13928394.png
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I agree. 1600 is a good number. Throw in about 200 minutes a week of exercise and see what happens.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't eating enough. When I stalled I realized I wasn't eating enough.. I started at 1400 calories and lost a lot of weight but stalled. I realized I was slowly starving myself and I loosing lean muscle mass. I actually eat 1800-2000 calories a day and the weight started falling off. I realized I had more energy when I are just a little bit more calories. Because I had more energy I was able to work out more thoroughly. I bet you are tired all the time ? That's your sign that you may not be eating enough. 800 calories is unhealthy. Whatever you are at , make sure your getting at least 1500-1600 calories at a min ! You have come so fat don't give up just tweak some calories. Try it for 3 weeks, and up your exercise. Don't freak out if you gain 5 lbs of muscle before you start losing again. Sounds like you to need feed those muscles - add more protein. I bet it helps
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    First of all, you are an expert at your weight loss. Own it. I count you as a success.

I'm ninety pounds down now. I've decided to be happy wherever I end up, even if I finish in the "overweight" category. I'm worlds healthier than I was, and I am active. I am doing the things I want to do. So perhaps that is an option for you. To switch to a maintenance mindset.

Finally, you might consider Bariatric surgery to continue to lose weight. Radical solution for a radical loss.
  • prettymorbidity
    prettymorbidity Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I meant you gave come so far don't give up. I'm terrible with this phone
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    First off, great job - you've accomplished more than most of us have, many times over.

If you eat nearly the same thing every day, you could try shaking things up there. Many people (carefully) switch to good high fat food for a while to break through a plateau and possibly kick-start their metabolism.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is awesome. Have you considered trying low carb?
  • jsanford76
    jsanford76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm not an expert, but I have a couple thoughts that come to mind. Firstly I want to congratulate you on you achievement so far, fantastic!! Secondly at this point if I were you I'd be looking into possible medical reasons behind this. Eg) Are you taking a medication that may cause issues? Do you have thyroid problems? Please consider consulting with a doctor and maybe even a dietitian too. Best of luck. LLAP
  • msjeep
    msjeep Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out the group Eat More 2 Weigh Less
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!