Logging Pilates into MyFitnessPal - How to?

Options
Hi everyone. I would like to know how to log Pilates into MyFitnessPal. Is it strength or cardio? I searched the exercise in the MFP database and came up empty. I know I'm not the only one here doing Pilates. lol
I would appreciate any help I can get very much.
Thank you. :)

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I searched for Pilates and found it in Cardio but not in Strength.
    I, however, would log it as a strength exercise. Pilates is an excellent core workout but I do not consider it cardio.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The app only gives you a few calories per minute of pilates. It's not hard to avoid eating those calories back.

Personally, I log it because I aim for a number of minutes of exercise per week.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do pilates every day and love it! I log it in as calisthenics - light/moderate under cardio...not sure if that's right and since I don't eat back the exercise calories I guess it doesn't matter.

OP - have you tried Blogilates??? It's the BEST!!! There's an app and everything!
  • MyStuff6797
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! :)
    And no, I have never even heard of Blogilates. I'll have to Google it.
  • karinbunnell
    karinbunnell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I do Pilates classes 3-4 times per week. I don't care about the calorie burn. I just want to log the fact that I've done this because I want to track Strength training separately. Since MFP is so limited as to what is there under strength, has anyone converted a typical class you take to the reps questions in MFP? MFP insists you enter this info to log it in.
    Thank you!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm taking pilates mat classes right now, and do log it under cardio, simply because there's nowhere else. I do get that my heart rate is generally not massively increased, but it's a valid form of exercise (to me!). However, in a few weeks, my pilates studio is starting group reformer classes, and I plan to take some of these. To me, and as far as my pilates instructor is concerned, reformer classes are most definitely strength training, because of the resistance weights on the reformer machine. No idea how to log this though! Anyone got tips?