Eating The Same Food

Options
My wife and I are very consistent with what we eat every day for breakfast and lunch (my breakfast consists of yogurt and granola and a couple cups of coffee; lunch is a turkey sandwich, several pieces of fruit, rice crackers, some cottage cheese; in other words, healthy foods). Our dinners are also healthy, at least Monday through Friday (salmon, chicken, etc.). My question is, our diet doesn't vary much. My question is, does a rigid diet result in a loss of metabolism or does it result in an inability to lose weight? We're both more or less where we want to be, but lately we've both been up about 3-4 pounds from where we'd like to be.

Just looking for input. Thanks.

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How bad are the not-so-healthy weekend dinners? It's incredibly easy to over do it on the weekend and cancel out any deficit you had during the week.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hey I am pretty much like you, I dont really need much variety in my diet Im very comfortable with eating the same things. Eating the same food every day wont affect your metabolism or affect your weight loss, the problem would lie elsewhere, check your macros, based on above your protein is probably alittle low. Check your fiber intake, and make sure you stay in your calorie goal on the weekends, 1 day over your calories typically costs 3 days of hitting your calories
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the same meals is good in that it can help control weight. (There is some research for this).
    Look more closely at what you are eating and drinking on the weekends. Maybe you can reduce portions with those meals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    erouzee wrote: »
    My wife and I are very consistent with what we eat every day for breakfast and lunch (my breakfast consists of yogurt and granola and a couple cups of coffee; lunch is a turkey sandwich, several pieces of fruit, rice crackers, some cottage cheese; in other words, healthy foods). Our dinners are also healthy, at least Monday through Friday (salmon, chicken, etc.). My question is, our diet doesn't vary much. My question is, does a rigid diet result in a loss of metabolism or does it result in an inability to lose weight? We're both more or less where we want to be, but lately we've both been up about 3-4 pounds from where we'd like to be.

Just looking for input. Thanks.

Metabolism doesn't work like that

How many calories are you each eating? You need to weigh and accurately log your food for a couple of weeks

Several pieces of fruit alone could be 400 calories or more plus a sandwich and crackers etc ...that could easily be a high calorie meal
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others that eating a limited variety of foods will not affect weight loss--only how much of them you eat.

However, it could contribute to nutritional deficiencies in things like vitamins and minerals. Are you getting veggies with your dinners, for example?
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is it working for you? If so, keep doing it. I eat the same damn things every week, I've lost 40 pounds, and I'm still losing.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods,because they are what I like. Sandwiches, burgers, ice cream. I've not had any issues.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Metabolism doesn't work that way. If you guys are "up", you're not in a deficit. Fruit adds up quickly (one of the reasons I don't do smoothies).