Exercise and calories

Options
SO, I finally figured out how to add exercises to my diary- I thought. However, it still doesn't show calories burned! Why ???? I had to add most of the exercises (strength training). I can only find the page when I log on to my PC! Not the phone app! Grrrr. Ideas ? Thanks!

Replies

• scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    Why don't you calculate calories burned for strength training?
    Our program currently calculates calories for exercises logged in our "Cardiovascular" section only. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you like, you can search for the same or similar exercise in our "Cardiovascular" database. If you can not find the exercise, you can search for the exercise "Strength training" in the cardiovascular database, but please be aware that this is only a rough estimate, and can be fairly inaccurate.

If you know how many calories you have burned via a heart rate monitor or other tracking device, you can add a custom exercise to your personal database.

For additional information on strength exercises, please reference http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2013/10/11/muscle-matters/
  • Azathera
    Azathera Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    None of the Strength training exercises have calorie consumptions because it's hard to calculate. But you can find the majority of the exercises hidden under Cardio and those do have the calorie consumption.
    If you chose Cardio and you go Browse All (from the phone app) you will see all the exercises there. You can find even pushups and sit-ups and even some weight training entries...
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Can't help with the phone thing, but I think part of the problem is that if you log weight training as strength training it doesn't add up calories. You've got to save it in cardio if you want it to count for calories (although apparently the numbers you get out are very iffy).
  • Grumpy_Marmot
    Options
    HR monitor will give you a decent idea of calories burned. I use a garmin vivofit with my 4iiii chest strap. My only complaint is it comes across "walked moderate pace... "
  • Marthy101
    Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hmm OK, thanks. I don't really want to invest in any pricey devices. I guess I'll gauge my workout effectiveness by visable muscle improvement ....