struggling

Options
i recently cut back from many many dr peppers a day to two, and then to one. i was doing great. then i tried cutting back to 2-3 a week. that didnt go too well. i started craving junk food more. i always wanted to eat or snack. now i have no dr pepper in the house at all and at this rate- i wont have any more food in the house before too long either.

the reason i decided to cut back and just have no pop in the house at all was because i feel like its controlling me in a way. if i dont have it im moody, eating non stop, etc. and i really dont want to be drinking it all the time. its not good for me. i want it to be a treat like its supposed to be.

but whats with the increase in cravings and wanting to eat just because? does that go away? HELP!

Replies

• EK2828
    EK2828 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a Diet Dr. Pepper problem. I was a total grouch when I decided to just stop drinking it... that lasted about 2-3 days. I had headaches, was convinced I was starving, wanted to just drown myself in a gallon of it, etc. I just figure that's all of that crap/not-real-food getting out of my system, though, so I stuck with it. Since I was counting my calories, I wouldn't let myself eat everything in sight even though I wanted to... it helped that I had gotten rid of most of my go-to junk foods beforehand. That actually was probably more effective than just counting my calories. Week 2 was much easier. I think I just finished week 3 and I don't miss it. Just do it and stick with it, and eventually you'll realize you've gotten over that hump!
  • pawp11
    pawp11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda is soooo hard. I am pretty sure it has to do with the chemicals in them. The "need" will go away. When I did it, I made sure to have plenty of water on hand - chilled and ready to drink so I just had to grab it. If you like teas and coffees, use those. Personally, I am not a tea or coffee drinker. I also found a few odd things that helped - beef or chicken broth as well as having plenty of good for you snacks on hand like cut veggies, jellos, puddings, yogurts, etc.

But in all honesty, the water and time were all that helped. It really does go away though, I promise!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It's not the same thing but if you want a fizzy drink get some soda water and add a splash of something like cranberry juice or grape juice. I still do that sometimes when I feel the need for a cold fizzy drink. It still has some sugar and calories but not nearly as much as a soda.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The word you're looking for is caffeine. It's addictive for a lot of people so it might be something to kick separately and find a lower calorie source of for now.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    The word you're looking for is caffeine. It's addictive for a lot of people so it might be something to kick separately and find a lower calorie source of for now.

yeah, i gave up soda, but i did not give up caffeine. that would be incredibly difficult. giving up soda was not too bad. i craved it a little, but got over it. giving up caffeine makes my brain go crazy. not gonna do it. coffee doesn't have many calories at all.