Starting low carb - anybody else?

Options
:flowerforyou: I see that there are others here doing the "low carb" plans - whether Atkins, or whatever - but I'm wondering how you implement MFP to the best advantage when counting calories isn't really the focus of a low carb plan? And I'm wondering how low-carb is working for you?

Here's my story. I was wanting to join Weight Watchers, but after weeks and weeks of waiting, I'd still not been able to scrape together even half of the $209 necessary dollars to join a 20 week program. Then, at the end of last week, I hit "rock bottom" - suddenly even my fat clothes were unbearably uncomfortable!! I have to say that I have been living in the same three pairs of jeans, three sweaters, and various tank tops for the last couple of years. I don't have the money to spare, so I refuse to go buy bigger clothes when I have a closet full of clothes I can't wear! So I was down to almost no wardrobe at all - and even that wasn't fitting anymore. I was miserable going to work last week, and to church on Sunday, feeling so uncomfortable and knowing I looked so fat! All I wanted to do was sit around at home in my PJs! I literally hid myself behind my desk at work when someone would come in, and I hid in the very back of the church on Sunday and left immediately after the service. Finally, something just snapped. I hit critical mass! I was desperately unhappy and I HAD to DO something. And it needed to be something that would start to turn things around quickly . . . and that I could encourage hubby to do with me! He's also put on so much weight that it's hard for me to look at him these days - not out of disgust, but out of sympathy because it causes him so much pain. He has bad knees, and suffers from IBS, and when he doesn't control his eating, he's miserable. Plus, he has this tendency to unintentionally sabotage my weight loss efforts when he's not trying to lose, too. He'll just forget and bring me a treat when he has one himself - that sort of thing.

So - I knew that before we first met eight years ago, he was on a low-carb diet and it had worked so well for him that he was probably the healthiest he'd ever been in his life. I've tried low carb a few times but could never get past the sugar cravings - but I began to realize it's been the sugar that's making me fat! So Saturday I decided that I was going to start - and STICK TO - a low carb plan with lots of water and NO wine! That's a real sacrifice for me - wine has always been the treat I've allowed myself, and I have to confess that my fear of giving it up was causing me some worry that I might have become an alcoholic. But I'm happy to say that I am on Day 4 and I haven't the least craving for wine OR sweets. And hubby has joined me on this journey! It's not a "formal" plan, he just remembers so well what he was doing last time that he went out and bought all the foods we'd need to have plenty to eat that isn't carb-based, and I found a little 32 oz plastic water "jug" with a pop-top and a handle to carry with me, and we're on our way! There's a bottle of wine in the fridge that he bought last week that I haven't touched - and I won't.

I've learned in my previous failed attempts to "diet" that looking at the whole picture - 70+ lbs to lose, and how LONG that will take - is too overwhelming for me, and completely psyches me out to fail. This time I intend to eat this elephant in little bites! We move at the end of June, so I promised myself I will carry on with this eating plan, no matter what, until then and see what I've accomplished in the interim. I suspect that by then it will have become a habit, and I'll have made some significant process, and then I won't want to give up. That should get me through the next couple of "phases" to my goal. In the short term - a few weeks back a friend who is losing weight gave me all the clothes she's grown out of. Nice stuff - size 16 - but I wasn't able to get into any of it. That really frustrated me because I should be a size 10-12, but it was the start of this journey. Well, I'm happy to report that last night, after completing Day 3, I was able to wear a pair of the pants that I wasn't even able to zip up last week! I am so excited because I feel like it's really possible that, within the next couple of weeks, I could have a whole new wardrobe to wear on my way to being able to get back into my own clothes - size 12!! There is a light at the end of this tunnel and I intend to reach it this time!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't do it but a lot of people here do the plato diet. If you ask about it you will get a lot a responses
  • LuvChocLabs
    LuvChocLabs Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check that out.
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of the 17 Day Diet which is no carbs the first 17 days and then slowly introduce healthy carbs the next 17 days. You are supposed to lose 10-12 pounds the first 17 days. You can get the book at most stores. Good Luck on your journey!!!
  • mclawsonstudentrn
    Options
    I started out on the south beach diet. it seems to have really helped me with my sugar cravings as they got really out of control when I was pregnant and I just couldnt break that bad habit once I had my son. I dont really crave sweets anymore and when I do I have a jello sugar free mousse. it really helps! I wasnt seeing any results with any other dieting and eating right after I had my son until I started watching my carbs. now I allow myself a few pieces of bread or pasta here and there and im still slowly losing the weight. makes me feel a lot better that my pants are starting to get loose and im no longer wearing maternity pants! keep up the great work! low carb can be hard at times, but dont give up! it is well worth the payoff. I figure once I get to my goal weight a couple glasses of wine a week or a treat here and there will be so well deserved!
  • bren8402
    bren8402 Posts: 3
    Options
    i did atkins diet in 2003 and i lost 60lbs. i never fluctuate more than 8lbs either. i dont do the strict atkins now but i do limit my carb intake. i have lost a total of 80 lbs since monitoring my carbs. it def can work.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    i did atkins diet in 2003 and i lost 60lbs. i never fluctuate more than 8lbs either. i dont do the strict atkins now but i do limit my carb intake. i have lost a total of 80 lbs since monitoring my carbs. it def can work.
    Can you tell me about how long it took you to lose the 60 lbs??
  • Bellydance
    Bellydance Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I read several opinions on the low carb thing for my body, blood type(there's a book about blood types and foods you shouldn't eat), and shape (Michael Thurman), and they all seemed to agree with eachother. I really paid attention to the way I felt when I ate bread and pasta and that made me decide to cut out carbs. I feel like a blob when I eat them. Dairy is not good for my body, and neither is beef. I don't cut out anything all the way, but I do keep it low. And if I eat them, it's a treat. Everyone's body is different, so really pay attention to how your feel when you eat something. Logging your food on this site helps cuz when you feel bloated or whatever you can go back and look and maybe get an "Oh, that's why I feel like this!" moment. Good luck.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    You have to consume the right kind of carbs because almost everything you eat has carbs in it, but here is where many people go wrong you need to EAT!!!! all the time but the right kinds of food and you have to reteach your body what to use and how to use it correctly because carbs rather they are simple (sugars) or complex (slow digesting mostly grains) they are ment for energy. But it sounds like you are on the right track eat fruit if you have sugar cravings and if you jones for soda try carbonated water with fresh lime or lemon in it.
  • bren8402
    bren8402 Posts: 3
    Options
    i lost 60 lbs in about 3-4 months i believe. i was 260 when i started and i am now 170-75.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

If you are only looking to loose a couple of pounds a fad diet is fine. But if you are choosing a healthy lifestyle, I don't think leaving any food group out of your diet is a good thing. I have been just eating healthy and as close to whole foods, very little to no processed and watching portions. It is working great for me. My blood sugar is normal now, A1C had been high for over a year. Last 6 months, Perfect. Just my opinion.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    You have to consume the right kind of carbs because almost everything you eat has carbs in it, but here is where many people go wrong you need to EAT!!!! all the time but the right kinds of food and you have to reteach your body what to use and how to use it correctly because carbs rather they are simple (sugars) or complex (slow digesting mostly grains) they are ment for energy. But it sounds like you are on the right track eat fruit if you have sugar cravings and if you jones for soda try carbonated water with fresh lime or lemon in it.
    When I woke up yesterday morning, I felt a little bit weak - but that passed after I ate breakfast and drank my water. Last evening I was at an event and there were "treats". I stuck to the fruit (although didn't know I shouldn't probably have grapes), but this morning I found I didn't have that "tired" feeling that I know is the crash due to cutting out all sweets. You have to understand that I've been having a glass or two of white wine every evening for probably the last 9 years or so - so cutting that night-time sugar out of my diet cold turkey is bound to make me a little shaky. I'm just glad I'm not craving it - at least I know I haven't become an alcoholic!
    i lost 60 lbs in about 3-4 months i believe. i was 260 when i started and i am now 170-75.
    That's awesome. I figure if I can lose what I need to (about 65-70 lbs) in six months time, that would be a healthy loss, so I'm glad to see you lost that within that time frame, even a bit faster. I know hubby lost probably that much in about 3-4 months time also doing low-carb. The thing is, you can't just go back to full carbs when you get to goal. I really believe, and I've seen it in my husband, that some people just don't process carbs well, and that leads to the bloating and weight gain. Lean meats, lots of veggies, some fruits, (and what else?) are good maintenance once you're at goal?
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm doing LC...and I'm happily content with omitting grains and starches from my diet. It's more than weightloss, it's for a better quality of life.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    If you are only looking to loose a couple of pounds a fad diet is fine. But if you are choosing a healthy lifestyle, I don't think leaving any food group out of your diet is a good thing. I have been just eating healthy and as close to whole foods, very little to no processed and watching portions. It is working great for me. My blood sugar is normal now, A1C had been high for over a year. Last 6 months, Perfect. Just my opinion.
    Oh, I agree with you - with the exception that I don't consider this to be a "fad" diet. No carbs at all might be a fad diet, but if you read through the information on about.com about low-carb diets, you'll find that even those who've authored books and come up with programs like South Beach and Atkins for eliminating carbs don't eliminate them altogether, and they acknowledge the fact that they are a necessary component for energy. But North Americans in general eat way too many sugars and carbs - and the wrong kinds - and I know this to be true because I've seen the evidence of it in myself and in my husband. Some people just don't process those "wrong" carbs . . . and weight gain and bloating is the end result. Actually, when you think about it, any healthy diet change (whether you cut calories on your own or use a program like Weight Watchers) will involve cutting carbs. It's a given. You never hear of anyone successfully losing weight by eating nothing but carbs. So, you're correct that balance is the key. I don't think anybody here is advocating eliminating 100% of carbs - that'd be pretty hard to do because vegetables and fruits are a source of carbs and to eat healthy, you have to eat fruits and veggies. But it's cutting out the useless carbs - the sugars - the stuff that really has no nutritional value and replacing that with lean meats and veggies that makes the difference.

There's more information on the "plan" I intend to follow at this About.com link.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/ig/Low-Carb-Food-Pyramid/

If you read through some of the info there, you'll see that a healthy low-carb pyramid includes veggies and lean meats at the base, fruits in the middle, fats towards the top, and grains at the very top. That's what I'm trying to do - and, I think, for me . . . cutting out my "treats" (which always consist of a lot of sugar - whether wine or chocolate) will do me the most good. I can certainly live without them for the short-term and, I think once I'm at goal, I'll find that the habit or compulsion to eat (or drink) them everyday will be gone.
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer/nutrionist for a month or so now and she always says, it's not fat that makes you fat. It is sugar and carbohydrate waste. The problem is we eat more sugar and carbs than our bodies can use and it ends up as fat. She has had me on a lower carb diet and it works like this. I can have 1 serving of fruit a day but it has to be before 12 (so my body has time to burn off the fruit sugar) and it has to be a low sugar fruit (green apple, grapefruit or any berry) Other than that I stick to lean meats, lots of veggies, water and nuts/seeds (this is for healthy fat and about 1 serving per day.) I can have small lower carb treats (like ranch dressing with my veggies) as long as I stick to my calorie limits (so it's not like Atkins where you don't count calories.) Plus I can have potatoes, just 1 or 2 servings a week. Anything outside of these boundaries would be a treat and I can have them as long as I follow the plan 90% of the time. To me this has been great as I know that I don't have to give up carbs completely (this caused me to panic on Atkins and then binge on Easy Mac!) Like you have noticed, it really helps with my sugar cravings.

Good luck, it sounds like you are kicking butt!
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    I just count my own carbs. I don't do "Atkins" or "south beach". Just monitor them myself.

60 carbs or less for a meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
    and two snacks throughout the day of 30 carbs or less.

This is INCLUDING drinks. I drink diet soda, so there are no carbs. Occasionally with breakfast I might have some apple juice. But, my breakfast food doesn't compile 60 carbs, so my 15 carb juicebox is safe!! lol.
  • halzuzu
    halzuzu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started the Belly Fat Cure http://thebellyfatcure.com/ about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I lost 2 pounds and 1/2 inch in 7 days. I limit myself to no more than 100g carbs per day (although there may have been 1-2 over days) and 15g sugar per day. Its been pretty easy to follow. I fill up on lean proteins and stay pretty satisfied throughout the day. I havent been able to exercise recently because I've been ill, so I'm wondering how this new diet combined with exercise will impact my weightloss once I am able to get back into it. Good luck!

PS - i still count calories and hit just below 1200 a day. not much maybe 100 at the most.
  • LuvChocLabs
    Options
    Just an update: when I was counting calories alone and staying right about the 1200 mark per day, I was getting somewhere . . . but very slowly and I kept giving up. I have been eating "way reduced" carbs for three weeks now and I'm in a size 16 where I was literally squeezing into a size 20 three weeks ago. I estimate I was at about 230 when I started (the battery in my scale was dead so couldn't weigh) but today (replaced the battery!) I weighed for the first time and I'm at 214. I also lost another 1/2" on my waist in a week!

So this is kicking butt for me - big time! And I'm long past the sugar cravings and lack of energy/feelings of weakness that marked the first few days or so. I find this is so easy - when I get hungry, I eat. I'm just avoiding anything I know is "white" - anything with sugar, starch or lots of carbs . . . and alcohol. I substitute Melba toast for my bread and pasta (or for croutons on a salad) and I am not feeling a bit deprived! This rocks. I finally have a realistic hope of getting to goal and being my old self again!
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I'm glad to hear low carb is working for you! After doing some research I started eating low carb myself, it's only been a week now but I really like it. It's my own plan, I was scared of just eating a ton of fatty cheese and meat to lose weight (it's so ingrained that eating fat makes you fat- even though I know that's not the case), so I log all my food and still stay under my calorie goals I just eat only 20% carbs and don't worry about the other macros. Yay- low carb!
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Options
    for me....low carb is not sustainable enough for a long period and the weight came right back on when I started eating carbs again. I am a firm believer in everything in moderation and no "diet" ever has worked as well as using MFP has worked for me.