TMI question :) lol

Options
do you tend to experience constipation eating high protein? It seems it's happened to me. I'm sure I do need to increase fiber. What other remedies are there for this? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Not at all. How many grams are you consuming?
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Protein...avg 60-80 a day, much more than before healthy eating. And yeah, fiber is on the lower side...10-15 a day.

Lol sometimes it's annoying trying to balance crap out. I can't math well lol :)

Suppose it's more fiber foods and even more water for a while!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary. I don't think you're at a high protein intake.

I'd up your fiber.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hmmm...Sometimes I get 140 grams per day. But always above 100. Always regular. Perhaps it's the fiber but I can't help you there as I don't track it.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I shoulda stressed "higher than normal for you protein" haha. Before getting serious with MFP, it was next to nothing. My food was all carb, basically. I am definitely going to look into increasing fiber as well. I don't want "crap"(pun intended!) to derail my progress! Thanks yall!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue. But I have IBS. Ya, like you said more water and might add some fruit, (I'm partial to blueberries).

I finally convinced (er, doc did) my husband to drink water during waking hours and its helped him. He's always constipate.
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    I do love me some blueberries. I have that or blackberries in green yogurt or cottage cheese often. I'm going to try to incorporate fruit into other meals besides breakfast and snacks, too.

All the patients at my job think we're BSing then when we tell them to drink more water to help digestion problems, lol. I cannot ever stress to them enough that water helps everything!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a multi vitamin or iron supplement because a higher iron content will cause constipation
  • hollyrayburn
    Options
    No, no supplements
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    The reason I asked is because I was taking one a day multivitamin and it caused constipation
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey Holly, so glad you posted this. Having similar problem. I struggle with regular bm anyway due to intestinal surgery a few years back, but since starting our diet it has been more problematic. I think the issue is fiber and water intake for me. Started looking more closely at daily fiber intake. I take a water soluble fiber each evening to help...good luck!
  • Yogafit28
    Yogafit28 Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Make sure to exercise (a little cardio will help), drink lots of water and maybe take a fiber supplement like metamucil or buy some psyllium husk! Also add in some veggies to your diet they're super low calorie and have tons of fiber. If you don't have enough veg that could be your problem? Try adding a spinach salad for barely any more calories and it will help loads (as long as you watch the dressing). Best of luck!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I found that by upping my water intake to 1 gallon a day, I became more regular and had an easier time going as well, and I tend to consume 100+ grams of protein a day.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats & oils? Those are needed for lubrication and "movement".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just peeked at your diary. I don't think you're at a high protein intake.

I'd up your fiber.

TWELVE grams of fiber.
    I'd agree.
    Eat your vegetables.
    Eat more fruit.