Following IIFYM - never meet my calorie goal, bad?

Options
How important is it to meet my calorie goal daily when following IIFYM? My goal is 1622 a day, and I generally come in under 1400 (although once or twice a week I make it over 1500... still not close to my goal though). I'm legit just not hungry enough for more food. Does that matter? Should I try to eat something anyway? My macros are 42g Fat, 209g Carbs, 104g Protein. I work out 3-4 times a week. I always meet or exceed the fat by a bit, and generally come really close to my protein goal. I'm usually a bit under my carbs. I guess my question is - am I sabotaging myself by not meeting my calorie goal, when I'm pretty close to my macros, since I'm not really hungry? I'm going for fat loss at the moment.

Thanks!

Replies

• evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Similar to you....I generally try to reach my macros in this order - protein goal first, then go for fats and then Carbs. Sometimes i would go over some of the macros by 5-10 but nothing extreme (unless I go on vacation ;))

If your loosing weight and not really that hungry then you are on the right track! The only situation I can see that could happen (in the long run) is if your weight loss stalls and if you need to adjust your macro/calories. This might make you lower your calories even further than your 1400 calories.

I was in the similar boat when I started. I would not feel hungry or I was extremly full. You should try eating more carbs during the morning time. I like eating Quaker rice cakes (no fat, little protein & sufficient amount of carbs.
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I require about 1800 net calories. After exercise and all calories consumed in a day, I've been coming in around 15-1600 calories. Normally, I don't feel hungrier than normal, so I figure all is well thus far.
  • greensushi62
    greensushi62 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you just started, it's gonna take a while to get used to it. It took me about a month to change my diet and make my macros.its really important to make those goals. Before I would eat the same amount of food (about 1500-1600) and now that I eat in different portions I lost 5 lbs and started seeing my abs more
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, you're probably eating more than you think anyway. If you're coming close to your goals, you feel OK, and you're not losing weight too fast, then just roll with it for now.
  • Jessikat1624
    Jessikat1624 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do weigh most of my food, not all though. I've been following this for about 5 weeks, so I'm still getting used to it. I'm losing about 1lb a week, so I guess that's on the right track.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine. You can assess and re-evaluate every few weeks.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Pound a week is nice, sustainable progress. Whatever you're doing is working well for you.