alternative for mash potatoes.

Options
jonesm97
jonesm97 Posts: 39 Member
I love mash potatoes. Is there anything that is simular but healthier that I can. Try instead?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As always, that depends on your goal. If your goal is simply calorie reduction, try a lower calorie variety of mashed potatoes.
    If you're trying to moderate your starchy carbohydrates, consider mashed cauliflower.
    Hubs and I love mashed cauliflower with feta, garlic, and a little butter, but my aim is usually to blunt the effects of starchy carbs. I used a more glycemic load (SLOW carb) approach to weight loss.

Whatever you do, it should taste awesome!
  • jonesm97
    Options
    Great idea. My goal is weight loss. I need to try different foods. :) thank you very much.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jonesm97 wrote: »
    Great idea. My goal is weight loss. I need to try different foods. :) thank you very much.

Then either might work. It's experiment time!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This is the recipe I have been using for mashed cauliflower.

Microwave+Garlic+Mashed+Cauliflower.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/microwave-garlic-mashed-cauliflower.html
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    This is the recipe I have been using for mashed cauliflower.

Microwave+Garlic+Mashed+Cauliflower.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/microwave-garlic-mashed-cauliflower.html

That looks delicious!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me, I'll just be quietly collecting all the mashed potatoes no one's gonna eat....
  • LoadedM6Tina
    LoadedM6Tina Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me, I'll just be quietly collecting all the mashed potatoes no one's gonna eat....

LMFAOOOOOOOOO OW!!! MY FREAKIN SIDES!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned mashed potatoes are for Thanksgiving. I hate farting around with potatoes in the kitchen. Not worth the time or calories and I'm definitely not eating them out of a box.

Do they fit into your goals calorie wise? If so, you could just...still eat them.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Half a cup of boiled potato with skin is like 70 calories. I know because I just logged this :) Cut one up into quarters, leave the skin on (for fiber), boil 20-30 minutes. Take 1/2 a cup. Put some butter on there (3/4 of a tablespoon, 75 calories) plus some Greek yogurt (60 grams of 0% yogurt is ~34 calories), and only vaguely mash it with your fork. Add salt. Yum.

I sometimes boil 2 potatoes one day, and store them like that in a glasslock container so I can have mashed potatoes like this with a few meals. I just nuke the potatoes and add the butter & yogurt when it's dinner time.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

Lol!
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's been forever since I've had mashed potatoes. Does the cauliflower have a really...um...apple-sauce like texture? I like cauliflower, but I don't think I could do with that kind of texture.
  • jonesm97
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. I need to lose weight so I will try the califlower idea first. I have a very odd shaped body and it's hard to lose weight. I am going to trt and succeed at this. Thank you
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Potato isn't unhealthy. If you want mashed potato, make it fit your macros /cals! Perhaps skip adding loads of butter or cream? We have lower carb potatoes available here, they would reduce the amount of cals

I like cauliflower puree, but it tastes like cauliflower.
  • JacquiH73
    JacquiH73 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are actually very healthy. Not only does it contain complex carbohydrates, but it also supplies protein and ample vitamins and minerals.

We only make potato dishes unhealthy by adding lots of sodium and fats to our potato. Try a potato dish that is fresh and doesn't include butter and oil and just a little bit of salt and seasoning.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    JacquiH73 wrote: »
    Potatoes are actually very healthy. Not only does it contain complex carbohydrates, but it also supplies protein and ample vitamins and minerals.

We only make potato dishes unhealthy by adding lots of sodium and fats to our potato. Try a potato dish that is fresh and doesn't include butter and oil and just a little bit of salt and seasoning.

But fats are not unhealthy...Perhaps adding too much could make my dinner too high in calories, and put me in the red for the day, but the fat itself is good for me. Mmm.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Carrots and parsnips mash nicely
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Carrots and parsnips mash nicely

mmmm parsnips!
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes all the time--just not mashed. Baked potato with just salt and pepper or I'll cut up those baby yellows into quarters, shake them in a back with oil and seasonings, then bake until perfection. The calories are pretty low and I still get to eat potatoes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    There's nothing else that will taste like mashed potatoes.

I love mashed cauliflower but if you expect it to taste like mashed potatoes, you're going to be disappointed. Parsnips might work though but I haven't tried (adding that to my list though!).

You can just make mashed potatoes with less butter, cream etc. I just make mine with a bit of butter and some 1% milk, and it's good enough. Potatoes actually fill me up quite well for the calories so I can't imagine giving them up.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I love mashed cauliflower with lots of garlic. Yum! But, I also love mashed potatoes. I eat less of the potatoes now because I like them with lots of butter - which is weird because I don't do butter on a baked potato LOL. But, in order to save calories, most times I do cauliflower now. It fills me up rather well too.

If you want to do it as a sub for potatoes, I recommend seasoning the cauliflower well with salt, pepper and garlic. Some people do part potato and part cauliflower.