How to add a running workout with time and distance?

Options
Hi, for my running, I know the time and distance of each run, but I do not know the calories burned. How can I can the running workout in myfitnesspal? I can only see cardio exercise which requires me to enter time and calories burned.
Thanks.

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Use your time and distance to figure your pace or speed. There are entries listed by pace that will calculate calories for you.
  • lwm99
    lwm99 Posts: 2
    Options
    I saw a few entries by pace, but usually can't find one that match. I am puzzled why there isn't a way for us to enter time/distance/pace to obtain calories, given that our profile already includes weight?
  • PMLeigh
    PMLeigh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Runtastic is a great app you can put on your phone that will help with that, it has a very tiny cost per year. It also calculates elevation, water loss etc
  • LadyRN76
    LadyRN76 Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    There isn't a way, unfortunately. I don't eat back my calories - so it's not a big thing for me, but you can figure it using http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator this link and enter it as a specialized exercise.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The best app BY FAR!! Is 'strava'
    You put in your details, press start and just go running. You can link it to MFP and it automatically download's everything straight to your profile.including calories burned, pace and distance. Best app I have used for running!!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    So you just have to pick the speed closest. I have my mapmyrun account auto synced with mfp, so when I run my typical 10:10 pace, it logs it as 11:30. So a 3.5 mile run will give me over 320 calorie burn. Now, because I run with a heart rate monitor a lot, I know that is completely wrong. I burn about 70 cals per mile, so only 245 per 3.5 mile run. So my point is, even if you choose the exact speed in the mfp database, you may be overestimating , if you chose a lower speed, you may be overestimating. Your best bet would to get a heart rate monitor.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So you just have to pick the speed closest. I have my mapmyrun account auto synced with mfp, so when I run my typical 10:10 pace, it logs it as 11:30. So a 3.5 mile run will give me over 320 calorie burn. Now, because I run with a heart rate monitor a lot, I know that is completely wrong. I burn about 70 cals per mile, so only 245 per 3.5 mile run. So my point is, even if you choose the exact speed in the mfp database, you may be overestimating , if you chose a lower speed, you may be overestimating. Your best bet would to get a heart rate monitor.

MFP isn't completely wrong. It is within 70 calories of your HRM estimate. And you are assuming the HRM is completely right. It is also just an estimate. There is no one way that is going to be exact.