Just started running

Options
i am dying right now... First day of running was rough

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just keep on trying, each day you'll be able to do a little more, work your way up even try walking intervals... its amazing how our bodies adapt and get stronger :smile:
  • goofydee30
    goofydee30 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yea I'm not that fast it takes me one whole hour too jog 3 miles
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Take it slow, one day at a time. You don't want to rush into it and end up hurting yourself. Breath, drink plenty of water, stretch, and listen to your body. And remember, "Don't focus on how far you have to go, focus on how far you have come".
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Don't worry about pace, to begin with I was the same. I started off just doing 20 mins and increasing time, my pace now is 5.2mph which I'm happy with. It took me a few months working up to doing that in 60 mins.
  • bloodewine
    bloodewine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've just started running again, after only doing it sporadically for a year and then having to stop for several months due to my job. When I first started, I was at 17-19 min/mi (including walking because I couldn't run a mile continuously). But I improved and eventually made it up to 14min/mi. Sadly, I'm back to a 16-17min/mile now. Anyway, the point is, it will get better, if you keep at it and don't push yourself too fast. As soon as the snow lets up, I'm hoping to try running a "5k fun run" just for motivation! I'd love to have a buddy to talk about this stuff with if you want to add me :-D
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hated it at first. For like a whole year I hated it. But it gets better. I hated it, but I liked the idea of being able to do it. After awhile I hated running, but I liked how I felt when I was done. Then gradually I started to enjoy the during part. But I'll be honest, there are days even now that I have crappy runs. And there are days when the first 1-2 miles just really really suck, but then I get into a groove and I love it! And then there are days when I plan to run x number of miles, and I just want to keep on going.

Hang in there. Don't judge anything by the first day, because it sucks, really really sucks. But it can get better. Try not to go to fast and let the process work. And down the road, if you still really hate it, look for something else that you enjoy. Because ultimately it's all about finding exercise that you enjoy that you can and will sustain long term.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    It will get better - but look at the thread for starting running under exercise. You should not be dying after your first run or you likely are pushing yourself too hard - which is how you end up injured. Yeah, I am posting this because I am dealing with plantar fasciitis that I probably got from trying to do too much too fast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If it feels bad try slowing down. I am up to 3k and I never run for more than ten minutes straight. Easier on the joints that way.
  • Level1Vegan
    Level1Vegan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Keep going!!!!
    I'd never run before and started on 1st January this year.
    I barely made it round the block.
    But... I went out every other day and my fitness picked up so quickly.
    I did my first Parc run at the end of Jan and it nearly killed me. But I kept going and now... Just a few weeks later I can do 5k without stopping.
    Seriously... 6 weeks and I'm upping my sights to 10k.

So keep going. Get some stomping tunes to keep you pumped up while you run.
    And good luck!!!
    By the summer you'll be all fit and healthy running in the sunshine xxx
  • chirper9
    chirper9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can do it. 5 weeks ago I couldn't jog 1 minute without getting winded. Got the c25k (couch to 5k) app which builds your endurance in intervals. I just jogged (5mph) for 20 minutes, so give it time. Your body will get used to running.
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first run! Keep up the good work - it will get easier