Do I have a Gluten Allergy??

Options
I was wondering how you are diagnosed with a gluten allergy? I have been sick on and off for the past year and have had several blood tests taken to check my thyroid as well as other possible deficiencies but I have never been tested for a gluten allergy. I have broken out in hives randomnly and I often feel swollen and tired, along with stomach pains.. I fell like I eat relatively healthy most of the time and work out but I have never quite felt normal. I was thinking of doing a gluten free diet for an extended period of time and seeing whether I started feeling better..If anyone has any advice or knowledge/ recipes on having a gluten allergy that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Replies

• audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    When I first suspected I had a gluten allergy four years ago, I started by eliminating all the offenders from my diet - all at once! Then, each week I re-introduced one food item back into my diet for one week and monitored the effects. Consequently, I no longer eat those foods that caused symptoms in spite of going to the hospital and being tested for gluten allergy. Turns out I'm not allergic to gluten, but I am very sensitive to it and have certain FOOD INTOLERANCES. Apparently there is a big difference between the two. Regardless, I'm much healthier now that I've eliminated the offensive foods but find that during allergy season I have to tweak my diet and make a few minor changes until my allergies settle down.

As for gluten, well it's in just about everything including most salad dressings, desserts, breads, dairy products, condiments ... you name it! Doing a lot of research online is key.
  • Nikkiham520
    Nikkiham520 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have to eat mostly gluten free. However, I have learned that it is wheat more than barley or rye for me. i tested negative for celiacs, but I definately have a gluten sensitivity. I know exactly how you feel. I have felt like that my entire life until I finally had a Dr test me and suggest the gluten free diet. I am amazed at how much better I feel. Almost all of my digestion problems are gone, achy joints gone, vitamindefficiencies gone, headaches are all but gone, and the list goes on and on. Diagnosis is extensive and not completely accurate. i would definitely suggest trying the diet. you will feel better in a week. I just eat very few grains since alot of GF grains are white and low in fiber. Good luck!!!
  • abw153
    abw153 Posts: 3
    Options
    Gluten is in so much stuff. Virtually all bread, beer, cereal (except for some rice cereals - although not all!). You have to read the Ingredients to identify gluten: Wheat, Barley, Barley Malt. These are the key offenders. You'll find them in strange places - Soy sauce for instance, or Teriyaki sauce (so going to chinese and having teriyaki chicken and rice - that has gluten!). There are a few brands of soy sauce without gluten (check the label). The tests for celiac disease are not very accurate (that's the blood test) although they can take a biopsy of the stomach or small intestine (not sure which) which will tell you fairly definitively. but why bother. Try eliminating it from your diet, if you feel better chances are good you have the disorder (which is actually an autoimmune disease). better to know you have it w/o a record than have the record which will cause certain insurance rates to go up. In any case, the only treatment is a change in diet.

If you are working on identifying what's causing you discomfort in your diet: look also at onions, garlic, legumes of all sorts (alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soy, and peanuts). Try cutting these out entirely as a prior post recommended and reintroducing them one at a time to see what results. Give it at least 3 weeks without any before reintroducing. If you have celiacs disease, your digestive track is damaged and needs time to heal (it will completely, but needs the time to do so).