Help! Need motivation! :(

Options
Lost my motivation! Set off so determined to lose some weight & get fit! Where did it go :( . Long hrs at work, stressed out- I've just lost the motivation & slipped back into old habits. Any tips anyone?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is where planning and getting the correct mindset comes in handy.
    You dont really give much details, but you see a lot of people starting on ere who rush into things with good intentions and they grind to a halt, binge or quit. Willpower is of a finite supply, so use it wisely.

What you should be asking yourself is how you are going to make sure you start and finish? That requires some thought and mental preparation about your journey ahead.

A good plan gives you the structure to make sure you know what to do and is the key to getting into a good routine. A good routine is the key to enabling you to do things consistently and efficiently. I would start off by listing all the old habits and factors that either throw you off balance or are impeding your progress. Id then work out an alternative strategy that means you can deal with them. Make a plan that that can factor those in and suits you and your lifesyle. It still remains a simple traget of being at a deficit by eating less and moving more.

• Weigh and log all your food. Preplan it if you need structure.
    • Take baby steps and that will build up momentum by drip feeding regular success which builds and encourgaes you forward. Logging for a week, doing a bit of exercise 10 minutes, buying some scales etc. Before long you will be hiting calorie targets and focusing on losing your first 1lb, then its just a case of rinse and repeat.
    • Doing some exercise and losing weight will give you an alternative way of getting rid of the stress from work. You do have to make a choice and commit to organising your time better and making sure you know how to hit the deficits though.
    • Get some MFP friends to support you if you would find that helpful.
    • Keep things in perspective and be patient. A rough rule of thumb would be 1lb a week, so 40 weeks for you and then give yourself a 50% margin. It just gives you an idea that its for the long haul and all about consistent weight loss over time.
  • colly71
    colly71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for that x
  • sziobro65
    sziobro65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I found that successful weight loss starts in your head. Are you "ready"? Are you ready to devote what you need to do to reach your goal, i.e. Logging your food, exercising regularly? Having the right state of mind is everything for me. If I'm not ready to be dedicated - I don't give it all that I need to succeed. Are you ready to leap your obstacles whatever they may be & give it your all??? hvux1gi5ah4b.jpg
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It can be overwhelming thinking about tracking/weighing your food, drinking all your water, getting your exercise in, etc. Especially if you are stressed from other factors. Maybe start out setting one goal for a week, like tracking all your food or getting all your water in. Then just focus and achieve that one goal. The next week add another goal to achieve...etc. If you are able to be successful at the goals that you set and you do it slowly then you might not feel as overwhelmed and the success will aid in keeping you motivated.
  • bnorris0107
    bnorris0107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    During the holidays I said I would start back once they were done, then it was "after the weekend", then it was "this week is too busy". I avoided The scale until yesterday and was so mad at the damage. I totally get how hard it is. I just set up all my reminders on here and I am going to look at my pictures from when I was doing so well to help motivate me. Best of luck to you!
  • Mywitnessfitness
    Mywitnessfitness Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So i must admit i have an eating disorder. The type where food is my comfort. Sounds corny, but i saw on Brain Games that it is scientifically proven that people do better by breaking a habit you will have to create one. So, starting today ive been going to the gym. I believe it works. No food feels better than skinny, you.can do it.
  • colly71
    colly71 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone x
  • sziobro65
    Options
    During the holidays I said I would start back once they were done, then it was "after the weekend", then it was "this week is too busy". I avoided The scale until yesterday and was so mad at the damage. I totally get how hard it is. I just set up all my reminders on here and I am going to look at my pictures from when I was doing so well to help motivate me. Best of luck to you!

• sziobro65
    Options
    I said the same thing. Last year around this time of year I lost 30 lbs - went to the gym several times a week, bought new clothes - felt great! Then we went on vacation & I stopped logging & watching what I ate, stopped going to the gym. I knew I was gaining - the new clothes became tighter & tighter, I no longer felt good & it hurt to look in the mirror. I avoided the scale as long as I could - when I finally got on after the holidays- I wasn't shocked - but upset. I started back on my diet right after the new year & was so dedicated to exercising - except I wasn't using MFP - and I became angry! I was working so hard & very little results! I know MFP works & I'm back & excited to see results for my hard work!