Salmonella

Options
I'm recovering from a very horrific bout of salmonella that started around 3:30am. I'm now out of bed/bathroom cycle at 9:30pm. My husband gave me my Valentine's early so I ate a few chocolates and then he got McDonald's for dinner since I couldn't cook, and am now at my daily calorie limit. But I really haven't eaten much today and I am hungry. Do you watch your daily calorie intake when you are sick? I don't want to be using salmonella for an excuse to overeat, but I must have burned some calories throwing up for five or six hours, right??

Never been that sick before in my life. I'm thinking I need some chicken soup and gatorade, both of which have lots of calories.

(I already subtracted out the food I threw back up immediately, ugh.)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't--if I need food and rest to recover, I do it.

THIS
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    NO, you take care of yourself and get better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rhye wrote: »
    I'm recovering from a very horrific bout of salmonella that started around 3:30am. I'm now out of bed/bathroom cycle at 9:30pm. My husband gave me my Valentine's early so I ate a few chocolates and then he got McDonald's for dinner since I couldn't cook, and am now at my daily calorie limit. But I really haven't eaten much today and I am hungry. Do you watch your daily calorie intake when you are sick? I don't want to be using salmonella for an excuse to overeat, but I must have burned some calories throwing up for five or six hours, right??

Never been that sick before in my life. I'm thinking I need some chicken soup and gatorade, both of which have lots of calories.

(I already subtracted out the food I threw back up immediately, ugh.)

It's one day. If you're hungry, you need to eat.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • zoelouisegriffin
    Options
    I always stop dieting when I'm not well. You need a full quota of calories to recover quickly so I make sure I'm having a normal daily allowance rather than the reduced calorie allowance that is needed to diet.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I had salmonella once. I feel your pain, and frankly, the very thought of food was anathema for a good day or two afterward. x_x I second chicken soup and gatorade!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    OP, how do you know it was salmonella and nor another stomach infection/ food poisoning? Salmonella infection is a very serious thing and only medical tests can confirm if you have it. You would very likely be in hospital on IV if you did.

That being said, whatever the infection, you should refeed slowly, if it was indeed severe then there is a refeeding protocol your doctor can give you, basically clear liquids, jello, then BRAT (bananas apple sauce rice toast) and then slowly add new foods.

If you already are eating McDonald's just one day later (not clear from your post if only your husband had it or you had McDonalds too) and holding in that kind of food and not rushing to the bathroom, be very grateful it wasn't salmonella :) and just eat slowly whatever you like until you feel completely well.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    OP, how do you know it was salmonella and nor another stomach infection/ food poisoning? Salmonella infection is a very serious thing and only medical tests can confirm if you have it. You would very likely be in hospital on IV if you did.

That being said, whatever the infection, you should refeed slowly, if it was indeed severe then there is a refeeding protocol your doctor can give you, basically clear liquids, jello, then BRAT (bananas apple sauce rice toast) and then slowly add new foods.

If you already are eating McDonald's just one day later (not clear from your post if only your husband had it or you had McDonalds too) and holding in that kind of food and not rushing to the bathroom, be very grateful it wasn't salmonella :) and just eat slowly whatever you like until you feel completely well.

^^^ This I was in hospital for 3 days and completely out of it, I would not wish it on anybody. You need to make sure you are hydrated and a good old fashioned chicken soup.
  • SR_86
    SR_86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

^^^ This I was in hospital for 3 days and completely out of it, I would not wish it on anybody. You need to make sure you are hydrated and a good old fashioned chicken soup.

Yes I agree with these comments. I had E.Coli 2 years ago and needed hospital attention. Also, you contract E.Coli about 10-14 days before your symptoms even start. Not sure if all types of food poisoning are the same though. Wishing you a speedy recovery however only a stool sample test will confirm if you have salmonella
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would not consider chicken soup a high-calorie food.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Last year my former roommate had her boyfriend over, who had the stomach flu...ended up giving it to both of us. We were both very, very sick, and I was throwing up constantly all day. I tracked anyways (even though it didn't stay down more than a half hour), and only got 600 calories in by the end of the day, not counting that my actual calorie absorption was probably a fraction of this. The second I was able to eat, I was eating calorie dense foods, to make up for the gigantic deficit I had, and to help fuel my body after a very physically exhausting day.

If you can eat McDonald's, eat McDonald's. If you were puking for hours on end, your body needs calories. One or two days of eating higher calorie is not going to derail you, especially because your body has been under a lot of strain.
  • shelbikinz
    shelbikinz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Eat your soup, drink your gatorade! Get some rest and feel better soon. :)