Gain - loss - gain how to stop cycle

Options
Hello,

Last year I lost 4 stone (56lbs or 25.4 kgs). Which was only half way to my goal in the first place!

And in the recent months have managed to regain 1 stone (14lbs/ 6.4kgs).

Now before I end up back where I started, I am trying to find away to climb out of this huge pothole I have found myself in. I don't seem to be able to focus or motivate myself.

Has anybody else experienced this cycle and if so how have you combated it or at least controlled the gain. I am a single mum and work as a teaching assistant and am studying for a degree so please do not suggest ridiculous (for me) exercise regimes as I do 30 mins a day plus walk when I can and that is the best I can do .

My problem is with food. I know what I should eat and Cals in < cals out = weight loss but its the emotional side of food, the need of quick toddler friendly meals etc.

Has anybody done a plan that has helped long term like weight watchers (thinking the ready meals would be handy for the times I do not have time to cook from scratch) or cut out a certain food group that has reduced appetite? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead ... cook in advance ... keep portions in check.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My best advice:
    - Eat in a way that makes the cravings manageable. If you can get the cravings under control, you can make rational decisions about food.
    - Only make changes that are sustainable over the long-term. (Example: Are you willing to give up a food group for the rest of your life? Probably not. So why would you set yourself up to fail again by making temporary, unsustainable changes?)
    - Connect with other people (via MFP, in real life, whatever) who share your fitness/weight loss goals.
    - Be kind to yourself. Treat yourself with the same kindness that you would extend to a friend who is struggling as opposed to trying to bully/shame yourself into losing weight.

Hope this helps.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You already answered your question when you said your problem is with food. When I first started trying to lose the 50 pounds I needed to lose I spent about 4-6 weeks just learning how to eat less, prep meals, etc. before adding in exercise. If you've already got an exercise routine, great, but you might consider cutting back to utilize that time to get your eating in order and create new habits there before worrying about exercise. You can lose weight without exercise if you stick to your calorie goal.
  • mcclelland0484
    mcclelland0484 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am new to maintaining but I have done well for one month. I bring a pre planned breakfast and lunch to work and I carry no cash at all. Forces me to stick with whatever's in my bag. I budget my calories low so that I can indulge a little more at dinner time. Dinner is harder because it's usually a more social setting and not everyone wants to eat "diet food". I plan ahead so that I can use portion control no matter what the dinner venue may be.