10,000 steps for office workers?

Options
2»

Replies

• shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot when I'm on a video shoot. On the office days I make time to walk my dog in morning and evening.
  • robin388
    robin388 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me. I find myself pacing around my desk or back and forth to the bathroom. If it's quite I will walk my path at work I have created which gets me about 100 steps around at one time. Today after work I plan to hit my treadmill because I don't see any other way to hit my goal if I'm busy on the phone during the week.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have to imagine my job is more sendentary than most of yours. I spend the vast majority of my day on the phone or in meetings. I am only ever to get 10k if I am focused on it. Here are my tips:

1) Use speakerphone and pace when on conference calls (only works if you have an office).
    2) Never email/IM/call someone when you can walk to their office and talk to them.
    3) Drink lots of water. Lots of water = lots of trips to the bathroom.
    4) Walk around the building during lunch. Admittedly, it's been to cold to do this so I make it up by walking and visiting with co-workers during lunch. (My office building is pretty big).
    5) Park as far away as you can.
    6) Always be mindful of your step count. Everytime I glance at my Fitbit for the time, I swipe to look at how many steps I've accumulated.

Even with all of that, I get home and am only at about 6000. The rest is sheer force of will. It's much easier now that I've started jogging, but it can be done by things like cleaning, cooking dinner, doing laundry, etc. You just have to be mindful and you can get there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have every got 10k steps, like ever.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the magic 10k steps a day. That number comes from an old Japanese marketing campaign for pedometers in the 60's. It's not a conclusion based on any specific science or research.

Worry about trying to get in some more activity. An extra thirty minutes or hour of activity a day tends to be about the equivalent of the magical 10k steps, which coincidentally, is a pretty solid minimum amount of activity for a healthy adult.

Do it as steps, on a bike, in a pool, whatever. Just try to be more active.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will often get up and jog on the spot for 200 steps. I also have a private office so it's easier. for a few hours a day I'm in a big office with 2 others. I dance or hop to the music while I file or fax. I often make 10,000 but I have 2 small kids at home and I'll play tag with them in the house if my steps aren't good for the day. Also, taking a zumba, step or other cardio class is usually good for 6000+ steps.
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Okay, nobody wants to hear this but, sitting is the new cigarette. I wouldn't worry as much about the number of steps as I would about just getting up and doing something every hour. Get in some cardio and weight training before or after work. I have a stand up desk and can get in steps that way. When I am sitting for hours, I get up and do squats or walk around every hour or sooner.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I was just genuinely curious if folks could regularly get 10k steps per day as I know I won't be able to. My office is quite small, one level, no public transport and one small carpark so options limited. I also spend approx 60-80% of my day in meetings or on the phone. I do other exercise such as Pilates, weights, swimming and cycling regularly. But I should increase my steps for my disc issues in lower back. Yesterday when I did manage to hit the magic number I apparently burnt around 450 cal according to fitbit. I don't know if that's accurate but I sure hope so! I only ate around 150 of those cals back.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Okay, nobody wants to hear this but, sitting is the new cigarette. I wouldn't worry as much about the number of steps as I would about just getting up and doing something every hour. Get in some cardio and weight training before or after work. I have a stand up desk and can get in steps that way. When I am sitting for hours, I get up and do squats or walk around every hour or sooner.

I would love to have a standup desk but since I got my present desk in November I don't see that happening anytime soon. I would also have to move and wall mount some of my monitors because I use four.

I don't have a pedometer except my phone app so I'm not sure how much I get in because I don't think to grab my phone as I move around the office. I do go offices to talk to people, drink out of a small cup so I have to get up for refills and try to inefficient (such as making multiple trips to wash out my dishes and such). I know I still don't get much in during the work day. It's hard to get your work done on a computer and do laps around the property at the same time.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I wish I could do the whole "walk around the office" for extra steps but I have an unfair reputation at work for wandering (I used to do it years ago but labels stick) so have to be careful.
  • chemlabdoc
    chemlabdoc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with parking far away. Also use the bathroom on a different floor and take the long way to meetings. If you print something, choose a printer you have to walk to. Hand deliver things. It is (short term) not the most efficient way to work, but by being healthier you can be (long term) more productive.
  • afhowell757
    afhowell757 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You have to be extremely creative. Try to get at least 1,000 in before you get to work. Park far away from the building. Take the long way to the restrooms or use the ones furthest away, even maybe on another floor, walk during lunch, and take the stairs. I try to get up every hour for about 5 to 10 minutes, get steps in and gives your eyes a break from the computer screen. Make copies at the furthest machine. Also, if you are stuck in meetings, get up and walk around. You might look crazy at first, but just let them know you are working towards a goal. It shouldn't be a problem.