Net calories..

Options
So what happens is you only eat 100 net calories? I ate little under 1200 calories, but I burned around 1100.

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    If you keep going that then your body will naturally comsume its sell i.e. lose weight if you are eating the right kinds of things. One BK burger thats 1200 doesnt count lol
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    So what happens is you only eat 100 net calories? I ate little under 1200 calories, but I burned around 1100.

After a few days of this your metabolism will slow down, and if you happen to eat more your body will store it as fat as it will not think it will be fed again. After even longer, non essential body functions will shut down. You hair may fall out nails discolor, or fall off, loss of muscles as your body tries to find fuel somewhere, etc, you essentially will become malnourished and sick, your immune system will weaken, making you more susceptible to getting sick...

As a man you should be getting a minimum of 1500 net, so you are 1400 calories shy of where you should be.
  • Procellifer
    Procellifer Posts: 16
    Options
    You do NOT want to have a net of 100 for any length of time. Your body seriously won't like it, which is why you should always eat your exercise cals back.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    One BK burger thats 1200 doesnt count lol

Yes it does! If MFP has you set to 1200 calories (plus that’s the min. to prevent starvation mode) you burn 1100 calories doing 2.5 hours on the elliptical for example you are a-ok go go eat that Whopper! Nutritionally it's not the best choice of course, lace of nutrients and high in fat but you will still lose weight.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

After a few days of this your metabolism will slow down, and if you happen to eat more your body will store it as fat as it will not think it will be fed again. After even longer, non essential body functions will shut down. You hair may fall out nails discolor, or fall off, loss of muscles as your body tries to find fuel somewhere, etc, you essentially will become malnourished and sick, your immune system will weaken, making you more susceptible to getting sick...

As a man you should be getting a minimum of 1500 net, so you are 1400 calories shy of where you should be.

Also, over time you will permanently damage your organs and they will start to shut down.
  • begonia813
    begonia813 Posts: 12
    Options
    if you do this for a few days, your body will go into starvation mode and start saving every calorie and bit of fat that it can. eventually, you willll start to lose the fat in your body because your body will need to burn it to survive, but your body's functions will also start deteriorating because you're not getting enough nutrients.

your body needs a certain number of calories to function in a normal day, so i'm surprised it even let you burn 1100 calories when only eating 1200 without going into shock.
  • MCEVITTS
    MCEVITTS Posts: 8
    Options
    You may lose a few pounds in the short term if you are netting 100 calories, but like these other folks have said, your body will start storing all calories you consume as fat...NOT GOOD. You should always eat your exercise calories back.....ALSO, burning 1100 calories at one time seems a little high....

As a response to eating an 1200 calorie meal---the nutritional information in a meal is just as important as the calories. Say for example you eat a Whopper, which has around 670 calories....there are over 1000 mg of sodium there as well....which will cause you to retain water and feel/ look bloated. Fast food is generally never a good idea.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Yes it does! If MFP has you set to 1200 calories (plus that’s the min. to prevent starvation mode) you burn 1100 calories doing 2.5 hours on the elliptical for example you are a-ok go go eat that Whopper! Nutritionally it's not the best choice of course, lace of nutrients and high in fat but you will still lose weight.

Okay... ummm...

Well while technically you can eat a whopper and still loose weight, what I think most were referring to it that you can't eat just a whopper and be healthy. Loosing weight means nothing at all if you loose yourself (your health) along the way. This is where most of the yo-yo effect happens, people concentrate on nothing but the calorie hit and ignore the health issues that go along with their favorite fad. When they feel they have lost enough weight they just pack on an extra whopper a day and do an admirable impression of a balloon.

As you reduce your caloric intake it becomes vital that you make every calorie count. Not for your taste buds but for your body and your health.

Eating too low a number of calorie count will cause your body to look elsewhere for sustenance. Typically it breaks down muscle and bone to a greater degree than it does fat. Honestly I almost never eat all my workout calories back, however I do monitor my diet as well as I can to make sure I have everything I need and if I feel like I'm starving I eat.
  • ninorth
    ninorth Posts: 9
    Options
    How do you eat that much good food? The only reason I didn't eat more is because I wasn't hungry. I had to force myself to eat the rest of my lunch yesterday. Ok so I didn't know you had to eat your burned calories back so maybe I will not exercise so much. That was only a 4 mile hike/jog.
  • cmallwein
    cmallwein Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm confused too....I'm suppose to eat 1200 cals to lose weight, but when I did a short walk on the treadmill last night I burned 125 cals, so it added that to my daily total making it 1325 and showed that I had a balance left of calories to eat and that I didn't eat enough calories, but I ate about 1250, leaving me with 75 left since it added the 125 to my 1200. I thought that was good and that you were suppose to burn more calories in a day then consume, so I'm not following how we're suppose to eat back our burned calories? Why work out then? Just so you can eat more?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Then you will lose weight, fat, muscle, anything really. You will feel ill, and get ill. I did similar on Sunday (not intentionally) and am still paying for it.
  • awf2215
    awf2215 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing.
  • leighton1245
    Options

Your are right I should have been more clear but eating a total of one single time a day no you will not lose any weight because your body doesnt think its going to get fed again and starts storing everything as fat. So that is why I say it doesnt count because its not a rational choice of food. :) Also if you are on the elliptical for 2.5 hours and then go and eat a Whopper you are crazy lol
  • rebz1991
    rebz1991 Posts: 21
    Options
    i am so confused !!! I thought it was a good thing if i burned the cals and was a bit under my daily calorie goal? But ur saying i have to eat moore cals for what i burned off at the gym? Then how would i looose weight?
  • leighton1245
    Options
    The best way to do that is to consume small healthy meals throughout the day snacking all day long is TONS better for you then just eating 3 large meals a day. When I say snacking im talking things like fruits, veggies, and meats, eventually your body will come out of starvation mode and your metoblism will speed up to burn all of those calories I would keep exercising and true eating smaller meals throughout the day but many of them. You have to keep your metoblism going and burning and dont eat untill you are stuffed just barely full. :)
  • leighton1245
    Options
    DBL post.
  • leighton1245
    Options
    i am so confused !!! I thought it was a good thing if i burned the cals and was a bit under my daily calorie goal? But ur saying i have to eat moore cals for what i burned off at the gym? Then how would i looose weight?

To lose weight you do need to be at a calorie deficit meaning you consumed less then you burned for that day but just like my last post you must eat and healty in order to speed up your metoblism and keep it going.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm confused too....I'm suppose to eat 1200 cals to lose weight, but when I did a short walk on the treadmill last night I burned 125 cals, so it added that to my daily total making it 1325 and showed that I had a balance left of calories to eat and that I didn't eat enough calories, but I ate about 1250, leaving me with 75 left since it added the 125 to my 1200. I thought that was good and that you were suppose to burn more calories in a day then consume, so I'm not following how we're suppose to eat back our burned calories? Why work out then? Just so you can eat more?

Well apart from the fact that exercise is good for your health - heart, lungs, bones, muscle, intestines and mch more - MFP sets your calories for you to lose weight. You should lose on your basic calorie allowance. If you exercise you can eat these calories otherwise you won't be eating enough calories to remain healthy and keep your metabolism up. See previous posts above!

I didn't always eat my exercise calories but started to when my weight loss stalled and I'm now losing again.

Incidentally, in time the less you eat - the less hungry you will feel. And so you eat less. A vicious circle with the potential for qll sorts of psychological problems.

Eat them and enjoy, you've earned them!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

MFP has you already set at a deficit. If you don't workout and eat only 1200 calories, you are eating less than you are burning (probably somewhere between 500 and 1000 calories less). If you workout, you can eat those calories. You will still be eating less than you are burning (between 500 and 1000 calories less).

There is of course a debate about whether you need to eat all, part or none of your exercise calories back. I personally only eat some of them back, and not always on the day that I burn them. That's just me and I am not an expert.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Also, over time you will permanently damage your organs and they will start to shut down.

Don't forget ultimate brain dysfunction once there's a lack of energy stores.