Taking Care of Yourself is as Important as Weigh Loss

Options
This may be the wrong section to place this but I hope it gets out to a lot of the members.

As you find yourself losing weight and reaching your goals, make sure you're also taking care of yourself. Taking care of yourself is as important as trying to lose weight. It is even more important for all of you that have lost a lot of weight, take some time to go in for a physical and have blood work included. Who knows what could have been hiding.

My story:

I have been on this board a while, left and came back when I successfully lost almost 60lbs. Last year was a turning point where I was cured from chronic pain, fibromyalgia, rotator cuff surgery, and other miscellaneous problems I had. It was a good reason to lose weight at that time to help me recover easier.

Little did I know, after losing all that weight, I felt a chemistry change and noticed changes in myself that weren't normal. I went to my doctor and I was scheduled for another mammogram within 6 months. Here I am 3 weeks later since finding out the results. Due to the fact of losing all that weight, it was found that I had 2nd stage breast cancer. Now a week later, after lots of tests, I don't have stage 2 I'm stage 3 cancer. None of this was detectable in any tests before the weight came off.

Had my first chemo session and I feel great. With everything going on, I still have one friend on my friend's list that kept sending me "Like"s and it helped me feel some kind of nomality for the past 3 weeks. Will need to do more and am still sticking to my diet. Like I said, if you feel anything different or you haven't had a physical in a while, make your appointment now and get one done just to protect yourself. After so many challenges last year, I now have one more and would hate to see anyone else have to go through what I have, male or female. So please take care of yourselves as well as your weight loss goals. Good Luck everyone!

Fina

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Fina, thank you for sharing this message, and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this challenge. It's a good thing you were tuned into yourself and caught it now! You're right, we need to look after our whole selves.

All the best to you, too.
  • minionman
    minionman Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow quite the story, it's crazy how much fat can hide. You are truly an inspiration and I hope a lot of people read your story and learn from your experience, I wish you the best in the future and hope all goes well,
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry Fina. I'm glad you're doing well and sticking with your routine even with chemo. Thanks for the reminder.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the best wishes everyone. I will say it has been a huge roller coaster of emotions but now that I've had my first chemo and feel good, I am able to gather the strength to beat this head on and I will do it. :D
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Bumping to help remind everyone that taking care of their health is as important as meeting your weight loss goal. Happy Valentines Day!
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Be strong!
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to share. I wish you continued wellness and strength throughout your treatment and into the future. Your positivity is an inspiration. <3