What percent of carbs, etc., for goals?

Options
okiedeb
okiedeb Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I want to get serious about not only calories but nutrition, too. I'm just not sure what percent should be carbs, what percent protein, etc. Any ideas. Or an easy to understand website?

Replies

• okiedeb
    Options
    I didn't realize the "What are my macros" thread covered the same thing. Sorry for the duplicate thread.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Unless you have body composition goals (in which case you'd prioritize protein and fat), endurance goals (focus on carbs), or medical issues requiring monitoring of carbs, then you can eat whatever you'd like within your needs. Eat a variety of food that you enjoy and over time you'll likely notice a pattern of what kind of macro ratio you are happiest with. If you find that you stick to this macro range but you're hungry, then you can ask for advice on how to switch up the ratio a bit. Or if you notice tiredness, moodiness, etc. But for now... just eat as you wish, but less.
  • okiedeb
    Options
    Thank you! I'll quit worrying about it
  • Flakes09
    Options
    It's actually important to eat for your body type. There's lots about this online. For example I can't eat lots of carbs because if I do I don't lose weight. So it's a good idea to track your protein, carbs, and fat. My goal is 25% carbs, 40% protein, and 35% fat. Works for my body type. If I eat the exact same calories, but with a ratio of carbs that is higher than 25%, I lose weight very slowly. So figure out what type of body you have, and then you can work on your ratios.
  • okiedeb
    Options
    My ratios have been running about
    45% carbs
    35% fat
    20% protein
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look at the number of grams of fat and protein per pound of lean body mass.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I just love protein so I tend to go 40% protein and then 30-30 for carbs and fat. That way I get to have more eggs and chicken lol